New Dies

I recently ordered some new dies for my Accuquilt Studio cutter. These are called “nested” dies and you get multiple sizes of the same shape in one set. The set on the left are the dies with blades, the set on the right below are blanks.
I also ordered a set of nested equilateral triangle dies.

To use them, you choose the size die you want, and then fill in with the blanks. below I have chosen to use the hexagon with one inch finished sides. This is the smallest one. The set includes hexies in one inch increments up to 7 inches on a side.
I cut some pieces out to try this out.  This is the smallest triangle sitting on the smallest hexie.
 I cut just 20 hexies and started piecing.

Below you can see that I have them all pieced into rows. Is this looking familiar?

I treated this the same way I did the equilateral triangle mini I made last month. I sliced it straight down.

And put it back together.
 After adding borders, I was ready to quilt. I have to say I didn’t do any pinning and didn’t work all that hard at matching points. I am coming down with a cold and didn’t want to think too hard when I was making this!
  And here it is quilted in a hanging diamonds pattern. I did this with my walking foot on my Bernina 1030.
 I wanted to use this leftover piece of binding and it was just a tiny bit short so I added in a little piece of a different red. The back:

And this is what it looks like after washing. The finished mini measures about 11 by 13 inches.

I think I could make some nice mug rugs with just 9 hexies this way.

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Civil War Repro Quilts, Doll Quilts, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to New Dies

1. bsellers21 says:

At first I didn’t understand the blanks, but then I was like ‘a-ha!’ 🙂 It’s always so fun to have new toys to play with. It’s really cool how you slice this in half to create the rectangular shape.

2. Diane says:

Just love this little quilt. I’m just amazed at what you do in a short period of time.
    diane

3. Val W says:

What a darling quilt. I especially love the bit of binding with the different red fabric. It looks like the quilt has a twinkle in its eye.

4. Very sweet! Thanks for sharing!

5. Janet O. says:

Oh, that is really fun! Great little quilt. : )

That little quilt is so cute! Hugs,

7. I have been looking at those dies. Thanks for sharing how they work. Your little quilt turned out really nice!

8. I always wondered how those nested dies worked. I think your little quiltlet turned out spectacularly. I love it.

9. Great experiment leading to a lovely little quilt ☺ How many layers of fabric will the die cut through and is there much wastage? Hope you won’t be laid up for too long with that cold – over a holiday weekend too! 😯

10. RuthB says:

Lovely – hadn’t seen that hanging diamonds pattern called that but it makes so much sense and suits it really well!

Those dies are AMAZING! I can only IMAGINE the ideas swarming around in your head! LOL!

12. Jasmine says:

I love your little test quilt. It turned out so pretty. I especially love that you didn’t stress over points and just quilted it simply.

13. Cécile says:

Oooh I love your method to cut the quilt in 2 to finally, make another quilt…..clever Katy !

14. Alycia says:

Hunh!! What a cool way to use all those dies – thanks for sharing!