Design Wall Monday ~ This and That

I’m still thinking about my mini for the swap hosted by Lori at Humble Quilts. I went digging throu a box of orphan blocks looking for a certain block and came across these.

No, I won’t use these for the swap! I hadn’t intended to use these blocks together, but maybe…. This is the absolute end of this SweetwaterFQ bundle. It sure would be nice to have this out of the stash. Without a border, it would finish at 33 by 36 inches. I would probably add a white border to make it a little bigger.

I did find the block I was looking for. Hmmm……

More thinking required.

And here is a question for you all. When I made this design wall, I used Warm and White batting. But it is terribly hard to get the lint off.

I do not need another project now, but does anyone have a suggestion for something else easier to clean? If I know what to look for, I will watch for it on sale.

I received the most lovely squishes from a friend last week!

They are so gorgeous! I wish you could feel the FQs on the left, so soft and the weave is beautiful!  Thank you, Terri!

Linking up with Patchwork Times, Love Laugh Quilt, Cooking Up Quilts, Em’s Scrapbag

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Design Wall Monday ~ This and That

1. Stoney Monte says:

I use a lint roller designed for dog hair and clean after a project is completed.

2. Lisa says:

It looks like you had a productive rummage through your stash of orphan blocks. The top set works well together and would make a nice baby quilt. The second set is working well together as well.

3. Luann says:

I just recovered my design wall with a 2″ gridded flannel from Nancy’s Notions. I was careful to keep the horizontal lines level across. This helps me immensely when trying to figure out approx sizes of sashings, etc.
    I really like the top quilt, I think it would also make a lovely lap cover for a wheel chair client.

4. piecefulwendy says:

I am using the Warm & Natural on my makeshift design wall too. I haven’t had too much problem, yet, with threads but I’m sure I will. Have you used a lint roller to remove them? I don’t know of any other option but flannel, so I’m curious what others will suggest.

5. Lin McQuiston says:

Hi Katy, I have a design wall of Warm and Natural also. I love it, but yes, it does get threads stuck. I have this handy little thing called a Cotton Picker that I use to get the threads off. It works great. I couldn’t find your email address to send you a picture of it though. You can email me and I’ll respond with the photos.

6. Susan Price says:

I cover a 4′ x 8′ sheet of insulation with felt. The felt is wide enough to cover without a seam. Before applying I steam the center fold. To attach the felt I use the adhesive especially designed for use with the insulation. It comes in a tube and is applied using a chalking gun. Using this adhesive is much better than pinning, taping or using white glue. I tried all the other techniques first before asking at the building center what really sticks to the insulation. To clean the felt I use either painter’s tape or a lint roller. The felt stays fresh much longer than batting. I actually have two sheets of insulation side by side giving me a 96″ x 96″ design wall. Two more hints— if your ceilings are only 8′ high cut about four inches off the bottom of the insulation before you cover it. The shorter board is much easier to stand up. And make sure you have at least one extra set of hands available while you are covering the board.

7. diane says:

I cover mine with extra wide felt. It lasts a long time and can be cleaned up with a lint roller.

8. Janet O. says:

Clean the lint off your design wall? What a concept! *LOL*

9. Marky Kuba says:

I used Warm and Natural on my design boards for years, clearing threads using a lint roller, but as the batting aged, I was also getting a lot of fuzzing/pilling. I had a chance to buy white polar fleece at a really great price when a store was closing so I recovered my design boards with that. It grips my blocks much better than the batting did, and is easier to clean with the lint roller–plus it does not pill.

10. I use white cotton flannel. You can buy it 108″ wide and cover a double wall all as one or split it down the middle and cover 2 walls. It cleans up nicely with a lint roller.

11. Tina W. says:

My design wall is covered with a flannel sheet that I took the seams out of (to make it a little bigger) and duct taped it to the back of two 1″ insulation foam boards which are screwed to the wall. I use a hand held vacuum to clean it occasionally! Works great!

12. Jasmine says:

I like the quilt made from the combination of blocks. 🙂 I used a white flat flannel sheet for two years. The lint roller did great picking up both the threads and dust keeping it looking nice and white.

13. mereth says:

If you can get white polar fleece it works beautifully. We just made another design wall and paid $4.99 a metre for polar fleece at Spotlight, which is like your Joannes. I’ve been using my design wall for over five years and there isn’t one thread stuck to it, so you should never have to replace it.

14. I have the same issue with threads. When it gets super irritating, I take a lint roller to it which helps a lot. Mostly I just ignore it… 🙂

15. cindy almendarez says:

I saw Ricky Timms use freezer paper and an iron to remove threads from his design wall.
    I’ve not tried it, but it seems like a good idea. Good luck.
    Cindy

16. I like the colour scheme in the first photo. Very pretty. I have the small problem with my design wall, although I’m using a flannel-backed tablecloth LOL

17. dezertsuz says:

I love the top blocks together, as well as what you are doing with the star. I use Quilter’s Dream batting, and I don’t have many threads, but I also don’t worry about them. If it bothered me, I’d use a lint roller, I suppose, but it doesn’t. I like the way things stick without pins, and I don’t know anything besides batting that will do that.

18. Jan O says:

My design wall is covered in wide-backing flannel, attached to foam-core panels with spray adhesive and pinned into the foam at the sides. Thus, it’s very stable and doesn’t pull away from the foam core panels. I usually lint-roller it to pick up the stray threads, but I have also been able to vacuum it using the drapery attachment.

19. Gunilla says:

Hi! I use white fleece from Ikea on my design boards, and the fabric sticks really well to it, and it is inexpensive!

20. I’ve been known to end up with some of that lint on batting inside a quilt – always in the light colored areas that I don’t notice until after the binding is on…of course.