Scrappy Rectangles ~ Leaders/Enders

Did you enjoy Worldwide Quilting Day yesterday? I sure did! After work, I quilted a Quilt of Valor quilt. When I finished that, I loaded another! But I will share those later this week. Today I thought I would share an update on my current leader/ender project.

Every now and again, I find more scraps to add. Now my scraps outweigh the solid pieces I am pairing them with! That’s okay. I have ideas for the extras. As I piece pairs together, I am tossing them into this container.

As that gets filled up, I make a block or two. It keeps me from getting bored with the current project. So far, I have these twenty  12 inch blocks done.

I tried out turning every other block.

Which is interesting, but I think I will stick with the first layout. If I set these 8 by 8, I will end up with a top 96 inches square. After quilting and washing, it will be smaller. So I may add borders. I have some time to think about that.

So far, I am loving this. And it has turned out to be the perfect leader/ender project for me. I spend very little time thinking about fabric placement. Because I am alternating with the blue bits, I never worry about two pieces ending up next to each other. My pressing plan is simple and every seam will nest when it is all put together.

Linking up  with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework

This entry was posted in Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Scrappy Rectangles ~ Leaders/Enders

1. Suzy says:

I love this quilt! I have pulled my stash of 1 1/2 inch strips and started cutting 2 1/2 inch pieces for leaders and enders. Thank you for the inspiration to use up some deep stash.

2. piecefulwendy says:

This is such a great idea — I never think of gathering my leaders and enders. I just toss them in my scrap bin. I also like the containers you use.

3. wow wow wow…mind blown! I love the idea of leaders/enders but I never seem to get around to it…must.get.started!

4. Micki says:

I like your idea…just do a few at a time. I have some 3″ squares that I don’t know what to do with…hmmm something to ponder. Thanks for sharing.

5. Vic in NH says:

Great looking quilt top! I especially love the way that solid blue/grey provides unity to all the variety of your wonderful scraps, good job!

6. This is a great idea fir scraps. I need to order a few new cutting dies and I think a rectangle will make it into my cart. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

7. Gina says:

I prefer the first layout too. I love the idea of making a quilt from Leaders and Enders. I have often thought about it but never got around to doing anything. I may have to raid my 2.5″ draw as I’ve always fancied a postage stamp style quilt.

8. Melanie says:

I love how organized you are. It’s so inspiring and I enjoy your posts and pictures.

9. Chris S says:

Hi Katy – My Sister and I celebrated National Quilt Day by going to a really nice quilt show near us in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. What a nice day! We got some neat “quilty things”, met a bunch of like minded quilty new friends, and giggled a bunch…..So a great day it was!

10. Such a beautiful quilt from such simple pieces! Thanks for sharing a good idea!

11. Joanne says:

Great Leader and Ender idea. thank you so much for sharing it.

12. I love that idea and the quilt it’s going to be. Might just try that for my next leader ender project – though it’ll be a while before I need a new one, and unfortunately my sewing machine is sick, in the shop and will be gone for as much as 6 weeks. Hard to get parts (just takes time, not that they are hard to find). The sewing machine was in a car accident with me, and was hurt more than I was – but not as badly as the car and iron, both of which were totaled 😦

13. Linda Dutch says:

Great way to use up those scrappy bits! And I love the addition of the blue solid!

14. ooo! ooo! ooo! I love the L/E blocks turned alternately. it’s so interesting. but then, the linear layout is nice, too, but the second is so unexpected!

15. Sandra B says:

Love the way your blocks are looking for the scrappy rectangle quilt!! I definitely have this on my to do list! I have always loved checkerboard quilts, and using rectangles adds a fresh look….
    Thanks for all the inspiration you give us!!

16. Emily says:

I love this! It’s beautiful, and so simple!

17. Lara B. says:

Your scrappy rectangles look amazing Katy! You picked the perfect grey!

18. Ompompali says:

I love this quilt top. It may be simple rectangles but to me it is perfect and just fun to look at. Please do show it to us when it is finished!