DW Monday ~ Brinton Hall

I have the center all done. Ta daaaa!

Time to figure out what to do next. I love that floral on the left from French General and wanted to see how it would look next to the medallion. I know it is a floral, but I like it! The red on the right is also from French General.

After looking at this with my morning coffee, I thought maybe a narrow red border followed by the floral.   The original looks like this:

I am not opposed to piecing more borders, but I have been thinking about how I will use this quilt. I think I want to be able to hang it on a wall. I love the toile fabric and it is such a great souvenir of our time living in France. To that end, I would not want this to get too big. It was the center that I fell in love with when I first saw this in Quiltmania.

I have to say that I am not a huge fan of English Paper Piecing. I enjoyed it when the pieces were small, but not so much as it grew larger. Having said that, I have purchased paper pieces to make a couple EPP minis. Like I said, it was okay when the piece was small! It is a nice travel project.

As I look at this longer,  I think I need to add one more scrappy row of hexies on each side to connect all the scrappy areas rather than add the separate rows as shown in the pattern.

I think I need to prep some more hexies…..so close and yet so far….

Linking up with Patchwork Times, Cooking Up Quilts, Em’s Scrapbag, Love Laugh Quilt

This entry was posted in Brinton Hall, Design Wall Monday, Hand piecing, Hexagons, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to DW Monday ~ Brinton Hall

1. It’s fabulous any way you border it! I do think one more round of scrappy hexies is a good idea.

2. Judy D in WA says:

I like the idea of another round of scrappy hexies. On red with the final border of gray. Can’t wait to see what you decide. i love it, it’s going to be a fabulous wall hanging.

3. I think another round of scrappy would be good too. The center needs to be totally surrounded before the first border.

4. I agree with exuberantcolor and then I think a narrow red border would be fabulous.

5. Ramona says:

I, too, like the idea of one more row of scrappy hexies. This is gorgeous! And how nice that it is a travel momento.

6. sdaurio says:

beautiful!

7. Julierose says:

Gorgeous quilt! I personally love the floral! I like pattern on pattern–ya think?? anyway–lovely job on this hugs, Julierose

8. Diane says:

Love what you have done so far. I like the narrow boarder in the red and than the floral.

9. Definitely add the red border before the floral. Amazing job. Kudos for getting it done.

10. Kate says:

I like your plan for one more round of hexies, then the narrow red border followed by the floral. It’s going to be gorgeous.

11. Cécile says:

Congrats Katy for your beautiful work ! More hexies ? Why not…
    For the border, the red and the flowers ! But the red first….

12. Em says:

Wow! This is amazing! I think more hexies are a great idea.

13. I have never EPP, but I can see your point about it being a more fun project when it is small. I like your plan to add another row of scrappy hexies to pull the whole thing together. You’ve made so much progress on this project!

14. Bonnie in Va says:

This looks terrific. I like the red with the border floral you picked. I think that taupe goes great with the row of hexies that are a similar, but lighter color. Have fun figuring out the borders and getting this one done.

15. Pingback: MCM #8 – Craftsy Class Winner |