WIP Wednesday

Monday I showed you my plans for the Tree of life charm pack and the basket block. I sewed it all together…..

….and thought, yuck.

The background of the hourglass blocks and the center block don’t match and that bothered me a lot. And I was not liking the green border. So I got out my ripper and went to work.

And brewed some tea….

This next picture shows the background fabric, the new borders I chose, the basket block, and the white strip shows what the basket background looked like before the tea bath.

The block shrunk quite a bit when I put it in the hot tea but the color match is much better. Time to work on the layout.

I got some good advice via Instagram. One person even made a mockup of a suggested layout.

Hmmmm….I like that a bit better than where I was headed.

This is the final layout. The top is now all pieced.

I’m much happier with this. I think separating the blocks and the center basket makes it less noticeable that they don’t match well. I will have to come up with some fancy quilting in that plain border! This is what I’m quilting in the hourglass blocks.

Interestingly, Wendy over at Constant Quilter  is also making a quilt with a panel like this. Her block is only 6 inches. I love what she is doing with hers! Check it out here.

Linking up with Quilt Fabrication, Sew Fresh Quilts, Freshly Pieced

7 Responses to WIP Wednesday

1. Jane says:

It does look so much more refined with those subtle changes and tea bath too. Looking good.

2. Kathy D says:

Tea dying was the perfect solution, and this is going to be a beautiful quilt. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that open space around the center.

3. YANICKA says:

wonderful solutions to a problem. I love what you did

4. Teresa says:

WOW That was a lot of changes. I’m glad you are happy with it .

5. So much better! I must confess that I’m loving the idea of more HSTs in the inner boarder as suggested, but I know that with your awesome quilting skills, that wide blank border is gonna look awesome! Great solution to a problem.

6. Cécile says:

Great finish ! I’m just impatient to discover how you are going to quilt the white fabric around the panel ! Enjoy !

7. Tina W. says:

Really like how you’ve decided to put it together. Are you using rulers to quilt the hourglass blocks? The quilting looks so uniform and I like it!