More Downton and Dinos

Yesterday I finally started working on Baby E’s baby quilt.

He looks like a friendly little dinosaur! I’m using hand dyed fabrics for the body and they are embroidered/appliquéd on my embroidery machine with an embroidery package from Embroidery Library. Here’s a quick look at how I do this (which may be all wrong, but it worked!). First I layer my stabilizer, background fabric, and the appliqué fabric in the hoop. The first embroidery step is just an outline.

After carefully trimming away the extra fabric, I put the hoop back on the machine and embroider the rest. Here is this block finished.

These are not quick to do and the machine requires baby sitting. It took nearly all day to do these 8 blocks.

Of course, I also did some housework and worked on my Dowton quilt. I had to do something between thread changes! And so I was able to get these blocks together.

And now I am thinking about borders.

When I queried this on Instagram yesterday, people were about evenly split between adding a border or just a binding. However, it was pretty unanimous that it should be blue! I tend to agree. Come back tomorrow to see what I will choose!

Linking up with Free Motion By the River

9 Responses to More Downton and Dinos

1. Gina says:

Love the dinosaurs. My preference for the border wold be the large blue floral. it picks up so many of the colours in the rest of the quilt

2. Kathy D says:

Your applique project came out great! As you said, not very fast, but quite professional results. Looking forward to seeing the quilt you put them into.

3. Kathy says:

Wow, what adorable dinosaurs! They turned out fantastic, and I cannot wait to see them put together into a quilt. My preference (not that you asked) would be for the larger blue floral (the third photo) – my second choice would be the smaller blue floral (the last photo). Are you pleased with how your Downton quilt turned out? I remember that at first, you weren’t sure if you liked it or not. 😉

4. Those dinosaurs are the cutest! I agree…blue for the border.

5. your dinos are cute! I love your downton quilt- I’m thinking of using that layout for one of my RSC15 quilts. I’ve been making blocks all year, and now it’s’ time to get some of these quilts together! I love the larger blue floral- 3rd. picture. seems to be the consensus!

6. You are right, embroidery machine projects are time consuming. People who don’t have those machines think it is fast because we aren’t doing it by hand.

I like the stripe and the blue floral. I didn’t think I liked the last choice until I scrolled up from the bottom and saw it first and without the others as first choice, it looked good too. I know you will make a good choice to go perfectly with the feel of the quilt.

7. Mari says:

Hi Katy! They may have taken all day, but those blocks certainly turned out very cute. As for the Downton quilt, definitely give it a frame. That large blue floral really fits the mood of the quilt, which is quite lovely. Nice job on all of it!

8. Louise says:

My vote is definitely the blue!

9. Connie Campbell says:

What cute blocks Katy and I really like your Downtown quilt!