Slow Stitching Sunday

I sorted out the missing hexies for my Brinton Hall quilt and am about halfway through app,queuing this green ring to its background.

I have another bit of hand stitching I would like to get done today as well, the facing on this small quilt.

This in not what a well done facing looks like but I was a bit desperate to get something close to a finish this weekend. I will share this little one later this week though I did give a peek of it on Instagram.

When hubby is out of town, I try to get a project done around the house. So I spent much of the day yesterday prepping and painting these small cabinets.

Sorry for the bad pictures. And also prepping this room for painting.

Yes, those are magenta and chartreuse walls. Sigh. These were the only colors Daughters #2 and 3 could agree on when they shared this room. They’ve both moved out and it is time to redecorate. I must say, it makes me a bit melancholy to do so, the end of an era and all that. Anyway, the plan is to paint the walls light blue and use my red, white, and blue quilts in here. I will decorate with a vintage toy theme and those little cabinets will reside here.

It will be a full on painting day after church today. Looking forward to that slow stitching at the end of it. Any guesses how many coats of paint I will need to cover these walls?

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday.

15 Responses to Slow Stitching Sunday

1. HA these colors remind me of when I was 13 and allowed to pick my paint colors. I had pink and lime green, orange trim, and peace sigh stickers everywhere 🙂

2. Gail says:

When I was 10, I had a purple room with large purple flowers on the wallpaper! Not my style at all now! We need to get some painting done at our house too. Glad you got your hexies sorted out.

3. Deb says:

I’m guessing and primer and 2 coats on the darker wall. Good luck painting today. Your vision of the room sounds lovely.

4. julierose says:

Love that center for Brinton Hall you have there! I am sorting through my fabrics to see what I have to begin one for myself–have a wonderful sunday, hugs, Julierose

5. Carol Woosley says:

Katy, you shouls use “Kilz” brand primer on these walls as a first coat. Except for aluminum paint, it is the only thing that will prevent mismatch and bleed-through. Good luck! Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

6. I’m thinking 3 coats on the magenta! Good luck painting!
    You will need some slow stitching time after that!

7. Yup…I think three coats too! OUCH!! My daughter had a Celestial theme going in her room..yellow ragged on paint and glaze…(remember those days) with navy glue on stars. What a mess to sand and paint over! And yes, I was very sad to see it go! But now it’s my computer room in a lovely apple green colour! :))) I think it’s called progress!

8. Kathy says:

Your Brinton Hall is going to be such a fabulous quilt. I can’t wait to see all those gorgeous blocks come together. Yikes! You’re going to be doing an awful lot of painting today … a lot of work, but I’m sure it’ll be well worth it when it’s done. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished project.

9. Quiltmouse says:

I am guessing at least 3 coats, especially on the magenta. My husband was saying Primer + 2 coats (almost the same, right?) I’m guessing it depends a lot on the paint! Do let us know! You are getting a lot done and definitely will need some relaxing hand sewing this evening!

10. Quite a few coats of paint! As a young teenager our daughter chose pumpkin orange for the walls of her tiny bedroom – even she sighs and shakes her head in disbelief now! It took quite a few coats to transform it into a peaceful magnolia retreat!

11. Cathie J says:

I am in the midst of considering painting both my children’s rooms as they no longer live here (although my son may end up coming back briefly after he finishes his PhD). I want to make my jellyroll quilt for my daughter’s room so I will probably start that first and then figure out what color is needed for her room. You certainly have your work cut out for you with both sewing and painting.

12. Donna says:

Definitely need to use a primer before you actually paint that magenta wall. Those were my favorite crayon colors about 65 years ago. Your quilt block is so pretty!

13. Cathy L says:

Magenta AND chartreuse, oh my! I think your idea for the room sounds fabulous.
    I love that Brinton Hall. I might have to try one some day.

14. Wow, you’re going to be a busy painter! My sister and I had hot pink walls when I was young – My mother couldn’t stand them, but we loved them! Have fun sewing!

15. Janet O. says:

I love the plans you have for this room. And I agree with so many others–primer and two coats.