I finally did it. I cut up my Downton Abbey Charm squares. I did decide on making a 4 patch variation, but not the one I showed last week.
I can live with that! Those of you with die cutters know that sometimes you have to snip a few threads in the corners. This is especially true if your mat is worn. This started happening while I was cutting these. I tend to not replace the mats as often as I should! I decided to try turning my mat so the the wear lines were not parallel to my cuts like this.
Worked like a charm! Hardly any threads needed snipping afterwards. This will extend the useful life of my mats for sure. Here are my pieces all cut.
I heard that collective groan! I was a bit underwhelmed too. But I knew I needed to trust the process so I made a few more blocks.
That’s better! I can’t say I am in love with this just yet but I am going to forge ahead. One of the issues I hadn’t thought through, is that there are lots of repeats in these charm packs. Most have as many as 5 charms of the same print. And I don’t feel the different lines flow that well together.
I will be piecing the rest of these as leaders/enders.
There will be a total of 30 blocks in this quilt. I may fall in love with it yet.