Throwback Thursday

Two posts in one day, crazy, I know! But there is a new linky party and I love to see what others have done in the past, so I decided to jump in. This quilt was made around 1998. I remember making this when we lived in France.

Please  excuse the fold lines! I quilted this on my vintage Singer 201. That fancy border quilting was a total waste because it doesn’t show on the front at all! The top was machine pieced and a great opportunity to work on y seams. As I recall, I had to quilt this baby into submission!

It was a cover girl for the 2005 issue of Quilt Almanac.

I used to do quite a bit of freelance stuff for The QUILT family of magazines. Until they changed editors. Here is a shot of the inside.

I used to get such a kick out of the “quotes” they attributed to me. Most were things I had never said!  Now and again I would be asked to write the article to go with the quilt I had made, but when I didn’t, it was always a funny surprise to see what I had said.

Linking up with A Quarter Inch From The Edge and Krista Quilts

14 Responses to Throwback Thursday

1. How exciting to have been featured in magazines. That’s so funny that they “created” quotes for you. This pattern is on my wish list of projects. Someday……

2. Heide says:

This is very pretty, love the color combo. Congrats on the Magazine cover and write up, how exciting!

3. Krista says:

I love this quilt! Thanks very much for linking up today, and I hope to see you next week.

4. Thanks so much for being the first to link up on Throwback Thursday and for choosing to follow me on Bloglovin’. You’re my 200th follower! Isn’t it amazing how much some aspects of our quilting style change? Lovely work!

5. Jayne says:

Of the quilts featured on that cover, yours is the one my eyes are drawn too! Serious and beautiful quilting, it’s a shame the quilting didn’t show on the front, but it looks great on the back! Funny how things have changed with magazines! That is hilarious about how they would quote you! Hopefully they were good ones!

6. Libby in TN says:

Lovely quilt, interesting story. I used some of those fabrics in one of my early quilts, too.

7. I love that part of the memory of this quilt is perhaps of a quote that you did not say. 😉 The texture in the center from the stippling looks super cuddly.

8. What a thrill for you!! Such a timeless beautiful quilt!

9. RuthB says:

That’s funny – I’m sure all the things you said were very wise! To make the cover too is brilliant!

10. Deb says:

Love the ” quilting it into submission ” !! Sometimes quilt tops do have attitude issues.😄 lovely quilt as always!

11. Found your blog by.linking up on Throwback Thursday for the first time today. The lovely repro fabrics, especially the border, made me think at first it was an antique. The quilting also gives it that effect. Having it published on the cover was an honor it deserved.

12. Wendy says:

Wow – that’s a striking quilt. You were ahead of the times! Well done on getting it published too! I’m visiting from Throwback Thursday.

13. Linda says:

Great quilt and the quilting is fabulous! Love your story too.

14. Kathy D says:

I get a charge whenever I see one of your quilts featured in a magazine. Now I know not to trust the accompanying quotes. That reminds me of the time I delivered a technical paper at a conference and was speaking to a journalist afterwards. My nerves caused my mind to kind of “blank out” and I was relieved when my comments published afterwards actually made sense!