Leaders/ Enders

I’ve been trying to decide on another leader/ender project but I am having a terrible time coming up with something! I would like something more long term than the quick projects I’ve done before. Bonnie Hunter does a Leader/ Ender challenge every year and this year has chosen the tumbler to work on. You can find out the details here.

I love tumbler quilts and I even have a die for my cutter which makes this idea even more appealing. The question is, what fabrics/theme do I want to go for? Daughter #1 bought most of these Downton Abbey charm packs for me for Christmas and I’m toying with using them for tumblers.

The two fabrics on the left were bits I found at SAS Fabrics when I was in Phoenix. I decided to place a tumbler cut with my die on top of a charm square to see how much fabric waste there would be.

There is definitely some waste there. When I use precuts, I try to use every sliver so this bothers me. But I haven’t come up with an idea I like better. This indecision means that I have gotten out these charm packs and put them away countless times!

By the time I make a decision, I probably could have a whole quilt pieced!

Honestly, I think part of my problem is that I hate to take apart these neat,  little packages until I am sure how I want to use them. And yet, that is likely the only way to be sure. Clearly my OCD is getting the better of me and I am over thinking this.

Linking up with My Quilt Infatuation

11 Responses to Leaders/ Enders

1. Cécile says:

With these lovely fabrics, be sure your quilt will be amazing !
    I loooove tumblers too but I have to find a template …it’s much easier no ?
    Enjoy and happy stitching !

2. I’ve been meaning to ask…what is a leader/ender project?

3. BJ says:

I’m doing Bonnie’s L/E tumblers in fall color charms alternating with creamy. With the “waste” from the die cutting I’m creating my own L/E project of strippy squares or maybe sashing. The angle of the side waste pieces makes for an interesting change from straight strips. Ooh, maybe a fall coin quilt. Love your Downton Abbey idea!

4. Sheri Lesh says:

Missouri Star Co. has a tumbler template that uses the whole charm…..but you would have to rotary cut them. I saw the video on that quilt not long ago…..liked the quilt very much……hardly any waste. I hate waste too!!! 🙂

5. Carol Woosley says:

I agree, Sheri. The Missouri star Periwinkle (I call it Hummingbird) quilt is easy AND interesting. The remaining scraps are larger and more useful than tumbler scraps. There is also a smaller template using mini-charm squares. You can pick up a pack of “Wacky Web” or “mini-Wacky Web” foundation triangles, or just make your own from phone book pages. I think it would be neat to use the darker charms for the center piece in the blocks, and use the lighter charm squares with colorful dark side pieces in a border. Keep on quiltin’ Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

6. Those lovely pre-cut packs are so tempting and then so difficult to break into! I have several, stroked, patted and carefully put back in the storage box. Tumbler blocks with the scraps being stitched together for irregular coin stacks sounds a good idea or how about using the scraps for a piano key type border?

7. knitnkwilt says:

I’d go for it. Then use Bonnie Hunter’s crumb blocks (I think she popularized it) as a use for the left and right scraps. No hope for the top and bottom.

8. Lynn says:

Those Downton Abbey fabrics are just gorgeous! I agree about waste, but then when you see the final product do you think about the waste or admire the beautiful quilt you just made? Look forward to seeing what you choose.

9. mpv61 says:

I would use those squares for HSTs — no way I could deal with that amount of waste! Very pretty fabrics. 🙂

I’m working on a tumbler quilt right now and using charm packs. My tumber looks like it might be about the same size as yours from how it fits on the charm square. I’m using mainly French General fabrics and going to mix in some others that I like. I love the fabrics you are showing. Hugs,

11. Gina says:

I know you don’t like waste but that tumbler quilt will be amazing. You can always use the scraps to stuff a matching cushion/pillow if they are too small to sew