Slow Stitching Sunday

It has been a crazy, busy week around here! I am so ready for some slow stitching.

2015/08/img_3693.jpg
I finished appliquéing the hexie ring around this one background piece. I am hoping to get the next ring together today. Not a huge goal but I am really slow at this! I read somewhere that milliner’s needles were good for sewing the hexies together. I went to buy some yesterday and was shocked at how long they were! I usually use Betweens for everything. But if I can find a needle that will make this easier, I’m all for it. I came home with these.

2015/08/img_3694.jpg
Better than the Betweens but I’m not sold on them yet. Any suggestions?

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

16 Responses to Slow Stitching Sunday

1. I’m not a good person to ask about needles… I usually use whatever I can find and have no idea what kind they are. I do know that I prefer short needles, which seem to allow me to make smaller stitches. Enjoy your slow stitching!

2. Susan Price says:

Sewology brand needles are not very good. Right now I’m not near my sewing to give you exact names of better needles. Would someone give her a better brand name? Don’t judge a type of needle by the Sewology brand. Susan

3. JoanG says:

Look for John James, S. Thomas & Sons or Bohin needles instead. All are really good brands and I use them for appliqué all the time.

4. Deanna says:

I use to use shorter needles but I have switched to a bit longer ones(not as long as the ones in your pic). I find my hands don’t cramp up as much using the longer needle. I hate that you waste a bit more thread but will settle for that if I can do more stitching!
    I like the John James needles or Bohin.

5. Kathy says:

I like John James, but I use betweens for my hexie work, so maybe I’m not a good one to turn to for advice.

6. Diane says:

I like John James…or Bohin. I would choose sharps.

7. Judi says:

I like Bohn sharps and use a 9 for my hexes. Really like how comfortable they are for me.

8. Jill says:

This is so pretty with the hexie ring around the toile. I’ve never used milliner’s needles, so I can’t help you there.

9. Terri says:

Those are some long needles!

I bought a package of those also, I’m not sold on them either. I do like straw needles and needles br Jeanne Kimball. I order those online. Your hexies look wonderful! Hugs,

11. Cécile says:

I always used appliqué needles for all !!! (Piecing, appliqué)
    Why ? Because they are thin and long and are easy to slide !
    But it’s my own opinion !!
    Love your hexies and your Toile Katy !!

12. Deb says:

I tend to use hand quilting needles for mine… but my hexies are hand pieced rather than EPP. Good luck.

13. Louise says:

I like the two brands mentioned, Bohin and John James. I like the ones with the thinnest shaft plus the length..they don’t cramp my fingers in doing needle turn. The picture you show, the shaft of the needle looks too thick. Maybe it’s just the angle.

14. Stephie says:

Whichever needles you’ve used you’ve done a great job on that very pretty ring!

15. I like the Jeannie Kimball for needle turn applique but I still love my short John James betweens for sewing together hexies.