WIP Wednesday

I finally started quilting the sister quilt. As soon as I got the first row of the pantograph done, I was regretting it.IMG_3434

I chose a very tight panto for this one and it was not for the faint of heart! Here is the info:

FullSizeRender

Looks lovely but it is tough to make it look nice. I decided for  some reason to use Glide thread in celery for the top.

IMG_3435

This might not have been the best decision.

IMG_3437

I used Cool Grey thread in the bobbin. You can see my wobbles in the picture above. I should have custom quilted this but I chickened out.  When I got to the end of the quilting I discovered my backing was too short! This was a silly mistake and cost me time.

I thought you might like to see how I added onto the backing without removing the quilt from the frame. First, I cut a piece to add onto the backing. I pinned it underneath the original piece of backing. Then I used my channel lock to create a straight seam to stitch the two together.

IMG_3449

I didn’t take pics of the next part but basically, I removed the original edge From the leader, trimmed the seam allowance,  and reattached the new edge and re rolled the last bit of backing onto the pole. Hope this makes sense. It probably won’t unless you are a longarmer. If you are not, you don’t need to know! LOL!

Now on to the binding!

Linking up with Freshly Pieced , Pink Doxies  Sew Fresh Quilts.

This entry was posted in HQ Avante, Pantographs, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to WIP Wednesday

1. Mary says:

Well done on sorting that backing out! I’m a terrible one for trying to keep the backing to size and not waste fabric!

2. Iris says:

I can’t tell you how appreciated your honesty is. It sometimes seems like all good well all the time with everybody (but me). Thank you especially since it seemed to have worked out in the end and you have what looks like a great quilt for your sister.

3. I like the panto, especially with the celery thread. It adds a little extra interest, and I don’t think you’ll be able to find those wobbles after the quilt has been used and loved for a little while. 😀 Great job fixing the back shortage!

4. I don’t see any wobbles. It looks great. It was good that you were able to sort out the backing. Good luck with finishing.

5. Shannon says:

You’re not a computer! We can’t judge our quilting too harshly! I honestly think your quiliting looks great.

6. Allison says:

It’s been said that we are our own worst critic and it sounds like you might be a little hard on yourself. I really like the celery thread choice, the quilting looks great, and while the panto is not for the faint of heart, I”m sure you will be pleased when it all comes together. Your too short backing fix looks interesting, and I would love to see a little more on that.

7. …and remember that once it’s washed any wobbles you do see will be gone. Love the celery colored thread. Hey! How do you like using those red clamps for attaching the quilt???

8. As a brand new longarmer, thank you! I’ve fixed other shortages with tricks up my sleeve, but so far never had one of the longarm. I’m marking your post, Katy.

Julie

9. Patti P says:

I only saw the wobble when I read your comment. it doesn’t stand out & gives a cohesive impression. I like the celery, want to try it myself.

10. Maryse says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about it, I would not have seen if you did not pointed it out. After a quick wash / gentle dry, you won’t be able to see any of it. It’s a lovely quilt, I love all the DS fabrics and how clever, how you fixed the fabric shortage.