Rethinking the Snowball

I’ve decided that I’m not going to make any more blocks for this quilt. I will add a border, not for size but because I think the design needs it.

I really like this top, but I’ve realized that it hasn’t “scratched the itch.” I’ve been asking myself why. I love the quilt shown below and bought this issue of American Patchwork and Quilting because this was on the cover. I rarely do that.

The pattern is available for purchase from their web site. I love the pattern, but even more, I love the color choices. For my version, I was using up some layer cakes and scraps and as long as it was civil war repros, I threw it in. It is a great top, but not the one in my mind’s eye.

I want to do this one again. Next time, I will use red, white, blue, black, and a handful of double pinks.

Linking up with Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

8 Responses to Rethinking the Snowball

1. Bonnie in VA says:

I agree with Laura about the power of the flip and sew corners. I think the colors in the magazine version with the carefully placed colors of the corners really makes that quilt sparkle. Yours glows with the mellow civil war colors. We don’t have to love every quilt. But I hope you like it enough to finish it!

2. Laura Haynes says:

I propose that the difference may be in the corners. The inspiration quilt’s blocks are place so the corner triangles form mostly light/dark hourglasses. The repetition of those tiny (on my phone) light, bright hourglasses draws my eye, that little flicker of light.

3. Nancy says:

I find it fascinating how changing the colors and prints in a quilt can completely change the look of a quilt. The same pattern may not make the same quilt. Can you tell if muslin was used for the light snowballs in the quilt from the magazine?

4. Honestly, your top is beautiful and maybe a border will be just the thing to make you love it. It’s amazing the difference fabric choices make. Maybe the original appeals to you because of the higher light/dark contrast? In any case, I hope you end up falling in love with your own first version! Snowballs are fun.

5. Quilted Pants says:

It’s interesting how we come to conclusions about different projects isn’t it? It often takes me a day or two to make up my mind. I’ve had some log cabin blocks up on my design wall for a few days and just not felt happy with them. Today I removed the darker strips from a few of the blocks and suddenly I’m ready to put the top together.

6. Tami Von Zalez says:

I like your top better than the one featured in the magazine. It will be interesting to see what border you will choose.

7. Anneke Hoogland says:

I disagree Katy. Your Fabrics are more interesting in my opinion.

8. Ramona says:

Your quilt is beautiful, but the quilt from the magazine is striking. I look forward to seeing your red, white, blue, etc. version.