Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Dutch Hexies

I really thought the day would never come when this quilt would be on the frame!

I thought I’d share a quick tip for dividing a border into even parts without measuring anything. I cut a strip of paper the same length as the border and start folding it in half, over and over. When I get the divisions that I like, I use a chalk pencil to make tick marks on the edge of the border.

I plan to get this bound today.

Twenty years is way too long for this to be a UFO. Have a great day!

9 Responses to Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Dutch Hexies

1. Anneke Simis- Hoogland says:

The first time a saw the hexies, I recognised the Dutch chintz ! ( I had some leftovers myself).
    Now I feel real happy ! I see a beautiful quilt and fantastic quilting. In Dutch : Je bent een kanjer!!

2. Jannette Binder says:

Just when I thought that you couldn’t make that quilt any lovelier, you added that great border design! Thanks for the tip too – when I get my sewing space back, I just might give that a try!

3. anudge says:

Fabulous quilting and a good tip. I had one that took me 30 years to finish, but it was a wonderful day when I was done.

4. Paula says:

This is a lovely quilt, and I LOVE the quilting. Thanks for sharing the quilt, quilting, and the tip.

5. I have a stack of hexies I could send your way for finishing 🙂 I’m having trouble deciding on how to finish them. Might be a good goal for 2020, because I have 20 hexies. Haha!

6. Lin McQuiston says:

Thanks for sharing your border design. I have a quilt I’d like to try this on. Does the quilt need to be square? Mine is rectangular. Any thoughts on how I would handle the corners? Your quilt is turning out lovely.

7. Susie Q says:

At least you kept the enamel pan to hold the binding…….. lol good finish!!!!

8. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy! Great tip and your quilting looks fabulous. This is a wonderful finish for the end of 2019 and a nice way to end the year on a high note. Merry Christmas to you and your family. ~smile~ Roseanne