Before and After

Remember the Chisel Star Quilts? You may recall that each were quilted with different batting. I thought it might be fun to show a side by side comparison to see how they changed after washing. This first one was quilted with Pelion Legacy 80/20. The left side is before washing and the right side is after.

And this next one was quilted with Mountain Mist 80/20. Unwashed is on the left and washed is on the right.

I think I mentioned that the Pellon feels beefier to the touch. The Mountain Mist feels thinner. However, they both wash up beautifully. The Mountain Mist drapes a bit better.

I realize this is the science nerd in me coming out! But I do find it interesting.

7 Responses to Before and After

1. Shasta says:

Both of these quilts are beautiful, and it is good to know that both of the battings held up the same. I am going to have to look at Mountain Mist again too. Like Kathy, I equate it with the yucky polyester batting I finally finished up recently.

2. Nancy says:

I find information like this really helpful as I consider and choose batting (and other quilting options, too). From the photos it looks like there was no shrinkage at all. Is that right? Thanks.

3. Nann says:

Thanks for the product testing. (And now I’m interested in the “picjointer” photo editing function.)

4. LoriD@Humblequilts says:

I must be a science nerd too! Thanks for the info!

5. Diane says:

Have you ever used the Mountain Mist 80/20 for hand quilting?

6. Val W says:

Thanks for the comparison. When I hear Mountain Mist, I keep remembering the ‘quilt every inch’ they used to put on their packaging, which never worked for me.
    Science rules!

7. Kathy D. says:

From one science nerd to another – Thanks for the comparison! Mountain Mist is never on my radar because it brings to mind super thick polyester batting of old. Guess it deserves another look.