Doll Bed

Some one asked recently if I had a collection of doll beds. I said no, I just had one I purchased and two small ones I had made. Then I found this at a sale for $1.

How could I leave that behind?

Since it was missing a slat, I repositioned them to fill in the spaces.

And I made a mattress out of pillow ticking and batting scraps.

Thinking I had many quilts that would work, I found I had none!

Time to make a little quilt for a four poster bed!

I wonder if this had been part of a bunk bed set at one time because of these holes at the top of the posts. I could probably add tiny finials. Perhaps I’ll just accept it as part of the history.

Oh, darn! Looks like I need to plan another little quilt! Hmmmm…..so, do I have a collection now?

13 Responses to Doll Bed

1. Susan Reeves says:

Joyce, August 8 comment, is my sister. We both had one of these canopy beds as children. I just turned 70 so you know these beds are old. Mine has been stored in the attic for many many years and has paid the price. The canopy was made from many layers of wood glued together. The glue has deteriorated so I have it held together with twist ties and pipe cleaners! 😩. I do have all the original finials and slats and even the bolster pillow. At some point I made new bedding. I love your new mattress. You have a sweet little doll bed. I will not put mine back in the attic.

2. Joyce says:

I have that bed and received it as a child in the late forties. Mine came with a curved wood canopy held on with 4 wood finials. The canopy was white dotted Swiss with ruffled edge and a white chenille spread with cut out corners and a twisted fringe around 3 edges. It had a mattress and a long tubular pillow.

3. Eileen Emerson says:

Love it! Adorable quilt you made quickly too. WTG!!!

The little bed is so cute!! I love the little quilt you made. Hugs,

5. Tiny brass buttons with a shank?

Oh Katy Dear, you are so clever! That bed is AWESOME and the mattress and coverlet you made is simply ADORABLE.

7. Sandra B says:

I agree with the others that the bed may have had a canopy… Looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this little bed!

8. Diane says:

Great find! Maybe it had a canopy on it. Love the mattress. Can’t wait to see the quilt you make for it. Blessings

9. So sweet! I am thinking it probably had a canopy on it. I had a doll bed as a child that had one and it had similar holes. We are all looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this little gem.

10. Kathy D. says:

Wondering if your sweet little bed might have had a canopy at one time? Looking forward to the new set of clothes you dress her up with!

11. Terri Bertalan says:

Katy, you are just too funny. I love your collections of mini quilts, beds and houses. How’s Mr. Wonderful on building additions? Your mini house might just be needing one in the future, lol

12. Sharon Browne says:

That bed was a great find and it would look good with some type of finial. Your mattress is adorable with the pillow ticking and buttons! I picked up a small wooden bed with slats awhile ago and have been meaning to make a mattress for it. Now I know what to do since I have some red and white ticking. Do you have the beds with little quilts on display somewhere?

13. Vivian says:

Ooh, you could do a little quilt with the corners cut out to fit around the posts! How cute that would look in miniature! Definitely add finials — this is going to be a great opportunity to find some interesting beads, buttons or the like to add a unique finish to it. Cute!!