A Very Old UFO

This UFO is probably over 25 years old. I got this far and did such a bad job, that couldn’t bring myself to finish it. At the same time, it took so much work to get to this point that I couldn’t bear to throw it away! I pulled it out recently and decided it might be a fun practice piece for machine quilting.

But first I had to deal with the edges. I decided to appliqué it to a background to square it up.

It is now about 42 inches square.

My intersections are terrible. I could cover these with simple appliqué.

What would you do? I’m open to suggestions!

This entry was posted in UFOs, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Very Old UFO

1. jean fletcher says:

Leave it as is, it shows your progress, and how you’ve grown as a quilt maker. It is wonderful. and the black border or binding is a GREAT idea!

2. anudge says:

Overall, you can’t see those intersection deficiency that much. Go ahead and quilt it. It would look grand.

3. Quilted Pants says:

Far, far too critical Katy! I wouldn’t have noticed the ‘off points’ until you shared the close up. Like others have said, take a step back and enjoy what you have created and how your skills and precision have developed over many years of quilt making 🙂

4. Yup, galloping horse (and my grandma’s funny way of expressing that) came to mind, and I see in the comments I’m not alone. I would leave it!

5. Charlotta Bright Norby says:

I wouldn’t do a thing! I’m right in there with the galloping horse crowd. Your work is a lot better than mine would ever be, I’m one of those who just goes with the flow and really doesn’t worry too much about matching, cutting off points etc, and I’ve always known that there is no quilt police!
    By the same token, you have to do what makes you happy, so if you cannot live with the intersections as they are, by all means do appliqué something on top of them.
    In my world it just wouldn’t even be considered!

6. It has a beautifully modern/abstract look. Could you frame it in black? Maybe just as the binding. I like the simplicity.

7. patti leal says:

remember the galloping horse? if you aren’t staring right at the intersections, they look fine. it if truly bothers you, why not put a bright color flower of some type in that spot. no leaves necessary. patti in florida

8. Tami Von Zalez says:

Ah, you are too critical of your work. Quilt as is, it is a beaut.

9. Darlynn Venne says:

Leave those corners alone. Have you looked at the old hand pieced quilts? Rarely do the seams line up. Points and perfect seams are over rated. It is the process. If those seams bother you, then do as you will. I would leave them alone and love the quilt.
    Ps….great idea to applique to a background~

10. I don’t think the intersections are that bad, and I bet the quilting will help hide them? If you do want to cover them, how about adding some antique buttons, maybe?

11. Elizabeth says:

I would leave it as is. It’s a very cool quilt. You only notice that the points don’t match up perfectly if you are close up and looking directly at the points. I think adding appliqué would make it too busy. Once you quilt it you will notice the points even less.

12. thenosebump says:

Love it as is!! Wonderful example of on going learning and wanting to improve!! Also it’s nice to see changing colors over the years!!

13. Connie Taylor says:

I would quilt it as-is. I think even in the close-up, your intersections are very close – I wouldn’t call them “terrible” at all. And from a distance, you can’t see that they’re off. BUT, if it will bother you every time you look at it, then appliqué away :> It’s your quilt – do what makes you happy.

14. Jane says:

I’d make a pillow honoring your growth.
    When quilting it, perhaps quilt the 1994 into the center panel.
    For the reverse side make another similar but different to your color choices today and inscribe by quilting the current year into the center.

This piece could help the grandkids know even perfect quilters started some place else and grew into their passion.
    Ps: Just like welders, ball players, etc. practice practice practice. lol.