Thrift Store Find

While running errands one day last week, I found myself near a thrift shop I hadn’t been to in a while. I spotted this little crib quilt and had to bring it home.

I love that aqua! And these embroideries are so sweet!

Interestingly, the quilting, done in yellow thread, extends into the binding.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the whole quilted edge was turned to the back for a self binding of sorts. It was machines stitched with the same yellow thread.

I gave it a careful hand wash, which seems rather silly. This quilt has no doubt been used hard and washed often!

My quilt collection is outgrowing my house, but I just couldn’t leave this behind. I imagine a momma or grandma from years past stitching in anticipation of a sweet babe and it pulls at my heart. I have known this anticipation and feel a certain kinship with the maker.

Have a sweet day!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Thrift Store Find

1. Darlynn Venne says:

I have a fondness of embroidered quilts. I can only afford the crib sized ones which resemble your lovely find. I put them out each spring…the beginning of new life. thank you for sharing. love the quilt.

2. Nann says:

What a treasure! Doesn’t it feel good to rescue a quilt?

That is a precious little quilt!! I’m glad you rescued it. Hugs,

4. Gorgeous baby quilt – I can see why you had to bring it home. I too have known the anticipation of waiting for a grandbaby and can relate to the feeling. The embroideries are especially adorable. I am glad you found this gem and shared it with us.

5. A beautiful find! I suspect it would have come home with me, too.

6. What a great find! It couldn’t have found a better home!

It’s simply adorable! I imagine it spent many years in a trunk after being used for someone’s darling baby. I have one saved for each of my sons who are now 55 and 49 respectively. One was a shower gift (and in tatters) and I crocheted the other.

8. anudge says:

What a sweet save! I would have taken it home, too.

9. Wanda Hanson says:

This is the kind of quilt I made at the beginning of my quiltiing days. It looks like the original edge wore out and was cut off and this new edge was turned to the back and stitched. The sashing is narrower on the edges than in the center and I bet it was the same size when it was new. It is a cute little quilt.

10. Lorid @ Humble Quilts says:

It is such a darling quilt. If the price was right, I would have picked it up too!!

11. It always makes me a little sad when I see a beautiful quilt like that given up to an antique store or a thrift shop. What a little beauty! I think my grandmother and mom used to do that kind of binding, where they would turn the edge over to the back and bind, but the quilting right to the edge of the binding is interesting, and unique.