Travel Sewing…..or not….

I decided not to take a sewing project with me. Until about an hour before we left for the airport. Then I threw this little kit together.

It all fits in a sandwich size plastic box. Want to know how much I got done?

That’s it. One single EPP flower. And it is poorly done to boot. Someone suggested a cure involving this.

Here is the after photo. I left one seam untouched so you could see the difference.

Better, but I’m still terrible at this and don’t really even enjoy it. I should have left it home. 🙄

If you are squeamish, look away before I show you the back. Ready?

I was too tired each night to sew and during the day, the scenery was way too good to miss. I think that’s a sign of a great trip.

9 Responses to Travel Sewing…..or not….

1. Pamela Thorne says:
  2. jean fletcher says:

Squeamish about the back? Because it is considered “naked”, right? You did a beautiful job, looks like MINE!

3. Janet O. says:

LOL–I feel your pain! I just got back from a short road trip and I only attached three hexies to a flower. It is my travel project, but I don’t enjoy it, either.

4. I like the masion jar method much better and I use matching thread. It is more forgiving. Have a good day.

5. Jan Horn says:

Your flower looks great other than the thread color. Don’t give up. It becomes easier each time you make one.

6. Judy Domke says:

I always have a hand stitching/hexi project working. My suggestion is not to hold your pieces back to back but the sides flat against each other. You only grab the fabric from the fabric from the back and nothing (or not much) will show on the front. And use a more matching thread so if it does show, it won’t show as stark as the white.It takes practice but it’s so worth it. Yeah for a hexi project!

7. I’ve done that, bringing some sewing along thinking I’d get some done and then, nothing. Haha! At least you were prepared, and you had good reason for not getting anything done with all that beauty to be exploring in Iceland. A couple of suggestions on the EPP (I’m not an expert, have just started myself) — try a thread that matches, and maybe an 80 wt. I use a 50 wt thread and do the ladder stitch rather than whip. It hides the threads completely.

8. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy! I think you are WAY too hard on yourself, but that’s just my opinion. I don’t really enjoy EPP at all, so I’ll let other more knowledgable people assure you that it look just great. Seriously though, life is too short to do something you don’t enjoy. Get that beautiful leather upholstered piece done instead!! ~smile~ Roseanne

9. JanineMarie says:

Was this on your trip to Iceland? I’m not an EPPer, but really, I think the only problem was the thread color. The stitching looks good. But after seeing your photos, I can see why you only made one flower. That scenery was breathtaking!