String Along Update

Are you taking part in the String Along hosted by Lori at Humble Quilts? I’m making ten of these diamonds a month out of the scraps left of my dad’s shirts.

While visiting Daughter #3 recently, I found the perfect red for the alternate diamonds.

My dad’s shirts were mostly thin, poly/cotton, button downs so I decided to use fabric foundations that will stay in the quilt. It’s a good way to use up ugly fabric!

I cut the foundations using this Accuquilt studio die.

When I’m done sewing the strings on, I trim to the edge of the foundation piece. I’m linking up with Lori for the monthly String Along Update.

This post contains affiliate links.

This entry was posted in String Along, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to String Along Update

1. Paulette says:

Love these string diamonds from you dad’s shirts. The red is perfect with them!

2. Jannette B. says:

Thanks for the tip for using foundation pieces for thin poly-cotton fabrics – that’s what I’m working with too, and some of the shirts are almost TOO thin. I’m also going to incorporate some of dad’s handkerchiefs as well.

3. What a great way to use up the scraps from your dad’s shirts! The string diamonds and that red are perfect together!

4. Rebecca says:

Love the plaids, they make great string quilts. Beautiful way to remember your Dad. I agree, the perfect red!

5. karenlogcabinquilter says:

Good use of shirt fabric. The colors remind me of men’s ties.

6. Robin says:

I love everything about this. It is the kind of quilt I would love to make. The red is glorious.

7. Awesome! I may need to invest in that studio die!

8. Katy, do you mind if I pick your brain about these diamond shapes for a bit?

9. LoriD@ Humble Quilts says:

That red is perfect for the string blocks!! I love everything about this!!

10. I love these string diamonds – my die cutter uses the Go! dies (not the studio size) so I’ll have to be content with my 60 degree diamonds ruler . . . your blocks are stunning (especially with that RED background).

11. Lovely shirtings diamonds–what a super memory quilt this will become…nice work hugs, Julierose

12. Kathy D. says:

This will be another lovely memento of your father’s life. You definitely nailed it with that red.