Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Hourglass

Recently, I headed downstairs for something. The next thing I knew, I had a little quilt!

Does that ever happen to you?

I spied these little blocks made from vintage scraps on my design wall and they called out to me as I walked by.

I quickly stitched them together and grabbed a scrap of batting. I’m not sure Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon batting is made anymore, but I love it for minis. You can actually separate it into two layers for a very thin batt, perfect for tiny quilts.

A little pin basting.

Quick quilting and a vintage fabric bi ding and it was done! All before hubby got home with groceries.

I washed it by hand and here are the after washing pics. It really completes the vintage look.

I used a scrap of vintage feed sack for the back. And I had gray thread in the bbbinand didn’t bother changing it.

If you are interested, here is a little info on the toy sewing machine in the first picture.

It is from this book.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Hourglass

1. dezertsuz says:

Miniature machines are such fun to see, and to find. I don’t own any, and have too many full-size vintage machines, too! That little quilt is just perfect. Love the gray bobbin thread!

2. Jannette B. says:

That’s a cute little mini! I haven’t made any lately, but I always used flannel for the batting. I’ve never seen batting that would separate nicely like that!

3. Vivian says:

Oh so cute! Yes, I could just imagine how they called from the design wall and of course you had to answer them (there’s no ignoring the Quilt Muses)! My favorite part is the “Make Do” bit in the binding — it just tops the whole thing off! A perfect complement to the machine modeling it.

Cute as a button!! I love the little scrappy patch in the binding.

5. That is the fun of quilting…crazy speaks when we are looking for something else and we have a better finish and more fun…nice mini

6. Therese penders says:

I wish you’d stop “bragging” about how you ran it up while hubby was out……it would take me all day and night and then some…….
    So cute….thanks for sharing and a blessed Christmas to you and your family…..

Very cute little quilt! Hugs,

8. LoriD @ Humble Quilts says:

What a cute little quilt! Satisfying to finish up, I bet!!

9. blackeyedsewsan says:

was the plaintive call SAVE US SAVE US???????????