Finish It Up Friday ~ The Tie Quilt

It’s done! Regular readers may recall that my local guild issued a challenge to make something out of men’s ties. I had more than a few false starts, but finally settled on this design.

I’m not crazy about my quilting on this one, especially in the leaves, but once I started, there was no turning back.

The background is navy and I though this green would be fun for the back.

The red binding I found already made in my stash. It was the perfect color.

I hand stitched the binding in this one.

This is how the back looked after quilting.

But I had some leftover leaves and couldn’t leave the alone! Lol!

It is hanging in my foyer now.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Pretty Piney, Busy Hands Quilts

This entry was posted in Finishes, Free Motion Quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ The Tie Quilt

1. dezertsuz says:

That turned out great, and I love the way the quilting looks on the back.

2. That’s gorgeous! I have quite a few pieces of ties left from other projects. After seeing your quilt, I may have to incorporate them into something similar.

Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

3. Sue B says:

Wow, that is really great! I love the flow you created.

4. Sandra B says:

Katy, this tie quilt is amazing! I love how you placed the leaves diagonally across the quilt…it was an unexpected twist and gives this quilt so much personality! Gives some movement to the design… Love it!!!
    I have some ties that belonged to my father…. I have been holding onto them for over 25 years waiting for inspiration … Which never came….until now! Your quilt has sparked an idea… It had never occurred to me to do appliqué… But I like that by using appliqué, I can keep the surface flatter, where seams in a pieced block would be more bulky…. I don’t know when I will get around to making something with them (I am thinking I will do pillows for our new loveseats in our living room, but I will be sure to let you know what I decide to do.
    Thanks for the inspiration, and, as always, thanks for sharing!!

5. Bambi Pearson says:

Oooh, I love how it turned out! It looks great and very unique.

6. I really, really, really like what you’ve done with this one! You came up with great idea still within the parameters of your challenge. Just gorgeous!

7. Therese penders says:

I love it. What a lovely ” souvenir”

8. Karen says:

Now I know what to do with all the ties that hubby no longer wears. Great job.

9. Jan Horn says:

Love how this turned out. Good job.

10. What a great result to he challenge you were handed! I love it! I especially love the texture of the quilting you did. And my favorite question, what kind of batting do you use? Sorry if I’ve asked you this before. 🙂

11. Rochelle Summers says:

What a gorgeous quilt and just in time for fall. I love the quilting and the way you placed the leaves on the back. Thank you for keeping us in the loop!

I love it!!! You have such a great imagination to come up with this. I love the green backing too. Adding the leaves to the back is so cool. Hugs,

13. Wow! that is the BEST looking tie quilt I have ever seen! I love it!

14. Jayne says:

As far as a tie quilt…this is my favorite that I’ve seen! It’s gorgeous and I love the quilting. What a challenge…one that you took by the horns and nailed!

15. Lisa says:

It’s a really fun quilt and I love that red binding.

16. Your quilt is one of the first I’ve seen made from ties that I have liked! Love the design and the quilting. The backing fabric is great, and I like the addition of a few leaves on the back. Great finish, Katy!

17. Marly says:

Lovely quilt and a beautiful example of repurposing materials!

18. JanineMarie says:

I like this spin on making a quilt with ties and how it looks in your foyer. Katy, could you please share how you did the hardware to hang it, or maybe where you’ve shown it before? Thanks! I’m tired of making sleeves on quilts and changing those plastic temporary hooks every time I hang a different size quilt.

19. Val W. says:

What a fun quilt. It looks like a gust of autumn wind through the men’s department.

20. karenbbsnow says:

Great use of ties. It turned out great, especially love the stray leaved on the back:)

21. Ramona says:

Your tie quilt turned out beautifully! I love how the leaves flow across the top and are helped with the quilting. Adding the extra leaves to the back was a great idea….those are the leaves that were blown under the quilt by the wind. 🙂

22. Katy, I love the soft flow of the design. I’m sure the fabrics are wonderful to see in person.

23. Kathy D. says:

Wow! Really love how this turned out. Your quilting gives a wonderful sense of movement. The few whimsical leaves on the back are a fun touch. Great job!

24. Terri Bertalan says:

Katy I love it! I’ve been thinking about how I could use my leftover ties and I just might make something like this…might lol