Wordpress and Blogger

WordPress and Blogger are both blog platforms. Competing platforms. For years, I’ve gotten reports that I am a “no reply” blogger and that I need to fix this. What that means is, being a WordPress user, I could comment on Blogger blogs, but my email was not linked so no one could reply to my comment. This isn’t a WordPress issue, it is a Blogger issue. They don’t play nice together.

The only way to fix that, was for me to create a blogger or Google profile. Yeah, not gonna do that. I don’t need another thing to sign in and out of every time I want to comment. At the end of the day, I don’t leave comments just to get a response. Having said that, I do like to reply to comments myself so I understand the frustration.

Recently, I’ve noticed that I am no longer able to even comment on many (most?) Blogger blogs. The only option for leaving a comment is to log into Google. Since I don’t have a Google account and have no plan to create one, I can’t even comment let alone expect a response. To make matters worse, most Blogger bloggers don’t even know this is an issue with their own blogs!

I decided to do a bit of investigation and I found this fix. I don’t mean to tell anyone what to do with their own blog, but if you have noticed a lack of comments, this may be why. If you have Google+ comments enabled, you only get comments from Google+ users.

Now, you may be wondering what these particular quilts have to do with this post……the answer is absolutely nothing. But a post without pictures just seems wrong. 😁

So I hope this is helpful information. Have a great day!

22 Responses to Wordpress and Blogger

1. dalrynn says:

Thank you! I hope many bloggers become aware of this issue. If I REALLY want to leave a comment on some blogs, I would have to sign into google, find the blog, find the post and comment. You see, I would REALLY want to leave a comment to do this.
    Thank you!!!

2. Thanks so much! I fixed mine. I do have a WordPress account so I can comment on your blog.

3. dezertsuz says:

Yes, this all drives me crazy! I do have a google account, because I have to use gmail – though I’m thinking of changing out of gmail with their latest “upgrade” that makes popup boxes keep popping up and takes more room on the screen. Not everyone has a 20″ screen! I much prefer the WP platform, or even LJ. Blogspot is the bottom of my list, pretty much. I’ve had them all, along with several others, but there are days I think about ditching it all and reclaiming my time. LOL

4. Frédérique says:

When I first open a new blog, moving from another platform, I had to make a choice between WordPress and Blogger… and choose Blogger. Don’t know if it’s a good thing or not, but now I will not change again soon 😉
    I noticed that some visitors comment as Anonymous, and it’s ok, they just write their email address in the comment (with “at” and “dot” of course) if they want reply by email.
    By the way, I have a WordPress account, to make comments easier 😉
    Gorgeous quilts by the way ;))

5. I started to have loads of problems leaving comments on Blogger blogs when the new cookie rules came into play earlier this year. The blogger blogs appear to have been reset to defaults that excluded non Google users without the knowledge of the bloggers. I emailed writers of the blogs I like to comment on and said I’d love to comment but can’t and would they take a look at their settings. They all changed something so I can now use my blog url to comment. I refuse to use a Google account to sign into anything so I was really grateful to them all for checking and changing settings. Thank you for highlighting the issue here.

6. BTW … Your Blueberry Park HSTs are beautiful!

7. The whole WordPress-Blogger thing makes my head hurt! I blog on Blogger, and it’s been flaky in ways recently that I haven’t experienced in the past. Like Nann said, above, there’s the comments issue from earlier this year. Now Blogger is notifying me of most, but not all comments, posted. Sigh. I think it’s time to moderate my comments just so I don’t miss anything …

8. Loris Mills says:

Interesting! I went and looked. I’m on Blogger but apparently have said ‘no’ to the Google circle question etc. I have to fill in all the email, name etc when I comment on WordPress blogs like yours. Not sure if you can comment on my posts or not.

9. Sheri says:

I have no idea if this is related or not. A lot of blogs – Quiltville, My Quilt Infatuation – use noreply+feedproxyatgoogle.com. For the last two years I will receive them and then they go away for a month, then reappear. Centurylink cannot tell me why. Anyone else with this problem? I have decided to use bloglovin where I can.

10. Chantal Lavictoire says:

I knew that Blogger and WordPress were at war but I didn’t know it went that far. You can always comment on my blog because I have abandoned Google+. Too much hassle. You are right, a post without pictures is just wrong. Loved the quilts parade in this post. Thanks for sharing. ;^)

I always like seeing pictures of your quilts no matter the reason! 😊 I do like how easy it is to comment on your blog. I don’t have a blog but I love seeing and reading about what other quilters are working on. Hugs,

12. The lack of cooperation between Blogger and WordPress was a real disappointment to me when I first started writing and following blogs. It is very frustrating. I think it was Yvonne Fuchs (quiltingjetgirl) who shared a link several years ago that could solve the problem but I guess that changes the platforms have made since then have made that solution obsolete. I don’t see how either Blogger or WordPress benefit from this, surely a free flow of comments and replies is better for everyone – time to bang some heads together?!

13. anudge says:

What lovely quilts. Thank you. I’ve a blogger blog. I comment to you however, using my WordPress account, I think. I think you reply sometimes (know life gets in the way of commenting sometimes) or is it just an email. Like you, I try to keep my presence on the NET to a minimum. Who has the time?

14. Genevieve says:

Thanks Katy& love your little heart quilt 🙂

15. Thank you. I need a personal IT person to explain it all..TBTG for email…xo

16. Tami Von Zalez says:

Since I have been on blogger for years, I am well aware of the comment issues. I offer my email address as an option for those who really want to have an online conversation. I also made a WordPress account so I could comment on those blogs.

17. Wanda Hanson says:

I have a Google account (but not Google+) but I too can not comment on a lot of the Blogger blogs I used to comment on. They all are set for Embedded comments and it has Google account chosen for me but doesn’t recognize my account. I can’t comment with any of the other choices either. If they change their comment box to Pop Up I can comment. Go figure. Google had it fixed for 2 days and then went back to the BAD setting.

Yes, it can be quite maddening when the rules change. For what purpose, I ask? Thank you for posting the lovely quilts. I don’t recall ever seeing the second one before. Your piecing and quilting are fabulous!

19. Val W. says:

Clear as mud. Thanks for distracting us with pretty pictures!

20. Mary Carvajal says:

Kathy I am so happy you explained this many times I wish to comment on a blog but can not because I do not have a google account … so no comment sent.
    I am so happy you included pictures, I never get tired of you seeing your work.

21. Nann says:

Blogger has hiccuped this past year requiring a reset of the comments setting. I’ve also gotten more spam and “awaiting moderation” comments than I used to. “Used to” is relative, of course. My posts get about five comments on average — not like Bonnie Hunter or the Kramers (or any of the many bloggers who write about topics other than quilting). Thanks for the quilt show — a lovely variety. (Is the QR code based on a real one that redirects to something?)

22. Sadly I refuse to get an “open id”. Because I cannot ask questions or comment, I have stopped following those blogs. Am I missing out? Probably, but my “vote” counts, and I am trying to make my voice heard. I feel your frustration. Recently there has also been a shift where facebook users can no longer comment on wordpress blogs without an account. This has not affected me, but those who have thousands of followers use that platform to get their word out there, and I bet that they have less traffic. Hum…social media ins’t so social.