A Little, Wonky Finish

While sorting stuff in the sewing room, I found the pattern I used for the flag in this little quilt . I gave that one away so I decided to make another.

I even found enough HST blocks laying around to complete the top! I loved it at this point.

I started quilting and things didn’t look quite right. Of course, I forged ahead anyway. See how my flag waves?

Yep, that’s bad. I got all done and realized when I went to put the binding on that I never put the walking foot on my machine! Good grief! Apparently, I’m not spending enough time in my sewing room!

Daughter #3 picked up this lovely backing fabric for me at a garage sale.

People always say I shouldn’t share my mistakes. But I think it gives others permission to be themselves and share their work, even if it isn’t perfect. I put this on an end table in my family room. I’ll set my coffee cup on it. It’s still useable. I value good workmanship, but things don’t have to be perfect to be beautiful or useful.

I do wish I could blame this on pain meds though…..

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Doll Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to A Little, Wonky Finish

1. Laura Haynes says:

Thank you!

2. Hah! I just posted “the worst piecing I’ve ever done” on my blog yesterday. I feel your pain, but totally agree that since we’re human, we’re bound to make mistakes. Well done, you.

3. Wonky? NO!!! That flag is waving gracefully in the wind! I love it!

4. Imagine how hard it would have been to make that flag wave intentionally! I’m always forgetting to engage the integrated walking foot on my machine! *sigh*

5. abydolinger says:

Long may she wave!

6. Liz says:

I love your humble flag. Finished is always good.

7. anudge says:

It’s okay. Flags are suppose to wave. Cute mini.

8. Quiltmouse says:

We are all human, and I expect that if we were all honest, we have more quilts with ‘mistakes’ than ones that are ‘perfect’. I love the flag and the half-square triangles you found were perfect. And best of all, you have a completed project! Love it. Keep on Stitching!

9. Brenda Ackerman says:

Hello Katy, I agree with everyone’s comments. Your quilt is lovely and it looks so perfect with the movement in the quilting! I am so glad that you shared this great project with us and it does encourage everyone to share each of their projects also. Have a splendid day!

10. Terri Bertalan says:

Your flag is waving, nothing wrong with that 🙂 Looks great to me!

Wonky or not it’s adorable!! Hugs,

12. Elizabeth says:

I love this quilt! Thank you so much for sharing it.

13. Sometimes those little imperfections give our quilts personalities. Having everything perfect is highly overrated, in my opinion. I love your little quilt! Let that flag wave proudly! It’s a cute finish!

14. Pam says:

I am a military mom as well. The flag and our National Anthem have great meaning to me. One of the lines in the anthem is, “Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave”. Your quilt looks perfectly beautiful to me.