New Old Project

A few years ago, a very sweet blog reader, Jan, sent this vintage piece to me. She had picked it up at a garage sale. I absolutely love this!

I must admit, this piece confuses me a bit. It is a bit like a giant pillow case. It clearly had batting in it at one time. See that ric rac across the top? The blocks on the sides appear to have been cut in half. Perhaps the top and bottom half blocks as well. I sure wish it could talk and tell me its story!

I love, love, love these fabrics!

It doesn’t really have a binding and doesn’t seem to have ever been quilted.

Yet. I believe this will be my next hand quilting project. But first, I need to do some disassembly and rework it a bit.

So I will be doing some slow unstitching today. I think in the process, it will tell me what it wants to be.

9 Responses to New Old Project

1. It is a wonderful old quilt. It could have been from someone’s sewing basket that was never finished and a non-sewist acquired it….who knows. I’m sure you will make it beautiful and give it a new life.

2. Louise says:

I am sure there is a back story to it..going to be fun to quilt

3. Rochelle Summers says:

I’m so happy it found a quilt friendly home with you. It will be lovingly brought to life again and you will enjoy the process and share the results with us.

4. Jan Horn says:

I’d love to see how you progress with this. I’m sure it will turn out beautiful.

5. What an awesome surprise in the mail! I’m with you. Those fabrics are a lot of fun. Can’t wait to see what new life you give this piece. 🙂

6. Mary Redrick says:

Maybe it was a “summer Spread” which wouldn’t have batting! I love that pattern and the fabric!
    So Special and you will do great with it I know!

7. Kyle says:

What wonderful fabrics. It’s going to be a fun project.

8. Sharon Browne says:

I love basket quilts and those fabrics are adorable! You are so lucky to have acquired this quilt!

9. dezertsuz says:

That one will be great, too. Maybe it was part of a quilt two sisters argued over and they cut it in half! I saw half of one that was a gorgeous heirloom hand appliqued quilt in a quilt show one time and that was the story. The other half was lost. It had been cut at least 80 years before. I was appalled that anyone would think to do that! You will bring this one back to a wonderful life!