Tutorial ~ Matching Prints

I finally got around to working on the crib skirt for Tiny E. I realized I needed to match the print to get the length I needed. My first run at it met with mixed results. But back to the drawing board and I came up with a method that was good enough for me. So I thought I’d share it. Here are the two pieces I wanted to sew together.

I pressed one selvedge under an inch or so.

Then I placed the piece with the folded edge on top of the other and lined up the design. When it looked good, I peeled it back and used a glue stick to keep it in place.

I set the glue with a quick press of the iron. Then I opened it up and used the pressed line for a stitching line.

I trimmed the excess seam allowance away.

Then opened it up and pressed once more. It isn’t a perfect match, but I am rather impressed with myself!

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Tutorial ~ Matching Prints

1. Kathy D. says:

That was very slick, Katy! Will have to remember that trick. Thanks for sharing.

2. Ann Wight says:

Nice, That’s exactly what I have done. Works great, I never thought to share it though. Can’t wait to see the cactus quilt.

Very good and it looks great! Hugs,

4. Lyndol says:

Impressive!

Great job, Katy! You can’t see the match unless you’re looking (very hard) for it!

6. Ooh, that is brilliant! I am definitely going to remember how you did it – and go invest in a glue stick! Thank you for the tutorial.

7. rl2b2017 says:

Seriously??!! It’s not a perfect match – where?! You did a great job. Brilliant idea and great use of a glue stick. ~smile~ Roseanne

8. Nann says:

Thanks for the glue stick idea! I will definitely remember that tip. (BTW, it’s a really good-looking print.)

9. You absolutely SHOULD be proud of yourself. Great job! Nice little tutorial there!

10. It looks great. Well done.

11. Roxanne says:

Your match looks great! Really appreciate the nifty tutorial too!

12. Thanks!!! This is so helpful!

13. Val W says:

That looks great. I use a similar technique when matching stripes for a binding or border. I fold and press the 45 degree angle, then line up the prints and let the glue be my assistant before sewing.

14. What a great technique! It’s awfully close to perfect, isn’t it?