Tutorial ~ Matching Prints

I finally got around to working on the crib skirt for Tiny E. I realized I needed to match the print to get the length I needed. My first run at it met with mixed results. But back to the drawing board and I came up with a method that was good enough for me. So I thought I’d share it. Here are the two pieces I wanted to sew together.

I pressed one selvedge under an inch or so.

Then I placed the piece with the folded edge on top of the other and lined up the design. When it looked good, I peeled it back and used a glue stick to keep it in place.

I set the glue with a quick press of the iron. Then I opened it up and used the pressed line for a stitching line.

I trimmed the excess seam allowance away.

Then opened it up and pressed once more. It isn’t a perfect match, but I am rather impressed with myself!

This entry was posted in Tutorials, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Tutorial ~ Matching Prints

1. What a great technique! It’s awfully close to perfect, isn’t it?

2. Val W says:

That looks great. I use a similar technique when matching stripes for a binding or border. I fold and press the 45 degree angle, then line up the prints and let the glue be my assistant before sewing.

3. Thanks!!! This is so helpful!

4. Roxanne says:

Your match looks great! Really appreciate the nifty tutorial too!

5. It looks great. Well done.

6. You absolutely SHOULD be proud of yourself. Great job! Nice little tutorial there!

7. Nann says:

Thanks for the glue stick idea! I will definitely remember that tip. (BTW, it’s a really good-looking print.)

8. rl2b2017 says:

Seriously??!! It’s not a perfect match – where?! You did a great job. Brilliant idea and great use of a glue stick. ~smile~ Roseanne

9. Ooh, that is brilliant! I am definitely going to remember how you did it – and go invest in a glue stick! Thank you for the tutorial.

Great job, Katy! You can’t see the match unless you’re looking (very hard) for it!

11. Lyndol says:

Impressive!

Very good and it looks great! Hugs,

13. Ann Wight says:

Nice, That’s exactly what I have done. Works great, I never thought to share it though. Can’t wait to see the cactus quilt.

14. Kathy D. says:

That was very slick, Katy! Will have to remember that trick. Thanks for sharing.