Finish It Up Friday ~ The Accidental Christmas Quilt

I loved these blocks, I’ve hated this top, now I love it again! I didn’t set out to make a Christmas quilt, but it appears that is what I have made.

When I shared backgrounds, most of you liked the green, but several said red. So I used both! I did use a different red. Actually two different Minnick & Simpson reds from thePolka Dot and Paisley collection.

I never pictured this green with these blocks, but it works!

I kept with a simple muslin backing.

I think I’m quite smitten with this now! Sometimes, you just have to let the quilt tell you what it wants to be.

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Crazy Mom Quilts , Busy Hands Quilts ,

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Finishes, UFOs, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ The Accidental Christmas Quilt

1. Julierose says:

Really pretty finish –I like that green too–it sets off those diamonds perfectly Hugs,Julierose

2. Pat in WNY says:

This quilt is so lovely, the red and green backgrounds set off the diamond blocks beautifully. I love a muslin backing too, it shows off the quilting and lends a softness to the quilt.

3. sue says:

First email I opened this morning and I’m still smiling about the title. Your quilting is beautiful and the red and green add so much! I’m going to remember about how you used two reds, that was a great idea. Why is the batting bearding? Does that happen often?

4. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    This doesn’t scream Christmas to me at all! It just happens to have the perfect background green fabric to highlight those lovely diamonds with a red border. Great finish! ~smile~ Roseanne

5. Ramona says:

You did pick the perfect fabric for the background! All of the colors shine through and play well together. It’s a gorgeous finish. I agree with Roseanne… it doens’t say Christmas to me either. It’s just beautiful.

6. Val W says:

I love the red around the edge of this quilt. It seems the perfect color to frame it.

7. Kathy D. says:

What a very sweet quilt this turned out to be! You may inspire other of us with UFO’s to give them another look and maybe try something different.

8. Linda Mincher says:

Wow! That turned out just beautiful. Love the quilting on it too!

9. Jane says:

I really love this quilt! Absolutely beautiful. You have inspired me to make one with my scraps. How did you decide what size for your red setting triangles?

10. This would be present in my house year ’round. I love this quilt! So if you ever hate it again, you can just send it my way! Haha! I love the photo gate or fence that has the same design in it; very clever! Have a great weekend, Katy!

11. How delicious! I love the entire thing, especially that green. I would never have though of using it and it works great!

12. Karen says:

I like the way it turned out and yes Christmas without screaming Christmas love it

It is absolutely gorgeous! I love it. It reminds me of an antique quilt. The colors are great and the quilting is so pretty. Have a good weekend. Hugs,

14. Nann says:

Perfection, Katy! The red setting makes the diamonds sparkle on the green ground. Lovely quilting, too.

15. Lynne Tolton says:

Oh how lovely. Everything about this quilt just says . .. soft. . .

16. Loris Mills says:

Oh! This turned out lovely! I love the quilting designs. They are perfect for this. Sweet!

17. Sharon Browne says:

I really love this quilt – it looks so vintage! I wouldn’t have used the red and green together, but it really works and the quilting is perfect too! Congrats on a fabulous finish!

It doesn’t scream Christmas to me either. I love the close up of your quilting, Katy.

19. Tami Von Zalez says:

That green really does work! I might have to go from gray to green as my go-to background color. I too made an accidental Christmas quilt but it is not nearly as beautifully finished as yours.

20. Diane in AZ says:

I love the combination. The red makes it pop without either background taking over. Makes the perfect visual statement.

21. It spoke well to you! Absolutely beautiful.

22. Bambi Pearson says:

Beautiful job!

23. Kyle says:

It’s a beautiful finish and the red border (blocks) just frames the whole thing.

24. Jenny Benton says:

Yes, I love it too, your quilt has that vintage look about it, without being, as you say, an over the top Christmas quilt. Very elegant indeed, congratulations.

25. Karen says:

Oooo…love these diamonds! Yes, reds and greens, but this doesn’t scream Christmas at me. It’s a classic and the muslin backing is perfect. Beautiful finish!

26. Zenia Rene says:

I think it’s saying it wants to be mine. πŸ˜†

27. chrisknits says:

Accidental, on purpose, it’s still awesome!

28. lynn jarzombeck says:

Ah Katy, you do not cease to amaze.

29. The green absolutely works, and the addition of the red really makes it. It’s lovely.

30. I really like this pattern. The diamonds are wonderful.