New Quilt!

My birthday was last weekend. While visiting Daughter #3 and SIL, we hit up a few antique stores. I found this quilt and had to rescue it, so hubby bought it for my birthday gift!

This gorgeous old top had been finished at a much later date with polyester batting and a poly/cotton blend backing that bearded terribly.

Aren’t the double pinks fabulous? To add insult to injury, this 1970s era pink binding was added.

See that pilling? That’s the poly batting coming through. Ugh.

This lovely top practically begged me to take it home and fix it. I’ll be taking it apart completely and requilting it by hand with 100% cotton batting and a cotton muslin for backing. I will finish with either a vintage fabric for binding or an appropriate reproduction fabric.

I couldn’t wait to rip open a corner, just as I suspected, the hand piecing stitches are tiny and beautiful.

I need to set this aside until my other hand work piece is completed. But I am really looking forward to this one.

This entry was posted in Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to New Quilt!

1. Happy belated Birthday. Good luck with this new project.

2. dezertsuz says:

I can’t believe how quickly you got all that apart. That pink binding is truly horrible!

3. Quest Quilts says:

Gorgeous top! Can’t wait to see it after the “rescue”.

4. That is going to be a beautiful quilt when you’re finished! The binding is pretty bad, that’s for sure.

5. Sandra B says:

What a find, Katy! Cannot wait to see you work your magic and give this quilt it’s proper look!!
    Love those pinks….the binding, not so much!!
    Happy belated birthday!!

6. Robin says:

Those pinks just melt my heart. I’m so happy you’re going to give this quilt proper attention.

Beautiful quilt! I can’t wait to see it quilted. Hugs,

8. Kyle says:

What a beautiful rescue. I would probably do the same thing

9. These kinds of posts make me want to run down to the local antique store and see if there is anything that needs rescued! Although to be honest, I don’t know that I’d have the patience to rip out an entire quilt of quilting! Good for you for being a quilt hero here. I can’t wait to see how you decide to finish this makeover.

Wow! Happy Birthday! I know your fingers are itching to start on this new found treasure. Mr. Wonderful sure knows how to make his bride happy!

11. Zenia Rene says:

‘It’s lovely! Looking forward to seeing your renewal.

12. Sharon Browne says:

I love double pinks and that is a beautiful quilt! You are really ambitious though, to completely take it apart to redo it. That’s a really big job but I know you will make it a beauty.

13. Oh, wow, that is a beautiful quilt! Those pinks are lovely. I think I have a close match in my stash (and I have a local quilt shop that could match them too, if you need). And yes, that binding really needs to go! Can’t wait to see your progress on this!

14. Val W says:

A belated happy birthday to you, Katy. I’m sure you will restore this quilt to its intended beauty, and I look forward to seeing the end result someday.

15. Dotti says:

Instead of an EMT. Your are an EQT, a quilt rescue technician. You are a wonder. Fun to see your finds and your restoration. When you find a treasure do you say “Jeep”ers? I think you might.

16. Nann says:

What a treasure! Enjoy the rescue. And happy birthday to you!