Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Vintage Redwork

Remember this vintage top? It was given to me by a friend a number of years ago.

I basted it on the long arm last week to prepare for hand quilting.

I’m going to try to pace myself by quilting just one fan per day.

I’m using this giant Baptist fan stencil. It is my favorite for hand quilting. It is available from Barb at Fun With Barb.

I know there are many opinions on this, but I decided to mark with a blue washout marking pen. I’m actually only marking every other arc and eyeballing the arc in between.

I estimate that I will need to make 24 fans to finish this top. If I keep up with one per day, it should be done in three weeks. I’ll plan on four weeks to give my wrist some breaks.

Also, in case you missed it yesterday, the code for 15% off at The Dutch Label Shop is katyquilts15. I will let you all know what I think after I’ve had a chance to wash something with the labels attached.

Linking up with Kathy’s Quilts

This entry was posted in Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Slow Stitching Sunday ~ Vintage Redwork

1. katyquilts says:

Traditionally, Baptist fans are quilted from the outside in. But then they are usually quilted in a floor frame! I saw Bonnie Hunter do this so I figured I’d give it a try. I’ve basted well so hopefully I won’t have issues.

Sent from my iPad

2. Robin says:

Wow! What an amazing project. I really admire you for doing the rows of the fan so close together. That’s a lot of work! It looks terrific!

3. Jenny Benton says:

So lovely aren’t you lucky to have such a treasure. The fan quilting will finish it off nicely.

4. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L. Oh how I love redwork, and the fans are just the perfect quilting for this. You are so close to being finished. ~smile~ Roseanne

5. You,re right, the large Baptist Fan is perfect for that. What do you use to mark your lines? I’ve always been afraid of those blue markers!

6. Sharon says:

I meant to ask – it looks like you are starting the quilting in the corner. Any reason that you didn’t start in the middle? Will it work out OK when doing it like this? Thanks, Katy.

7. Sharon says:

What a beautiful redwork quilt top! You are so lucky to have come into this beauty! It will be gorgeous when it’s finished and then your friend will want it back, lol.

8. Karen says:

good way to get your quilt done!

9. Baptist fans look great on the redwork. What a wonderful vintage top!

10. CathieJ says:

I really like the quilting design that you chose for this top. It doesn’t compete with the beautiful embroidery. Thanks for the links.

11. karenlogcabinquilter says:

The fan design is the perfect choice for the redwork quilting. I have often done fan quilting.