Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Daisies

This is my last finish for 2017.

These vintage blocks were purchased at an estate sale a few years ago.

I love finishing these old projects! The appliqué bits were all basted.

I used black pearl cotton to appliqué these blocks in a fashion that was popular in the 1930s and 40s.

Normally I like to keep the quilting on these very traditional. But the reality is, this quilt was begun in the last century and completed in this one. No one who looks at this quilting will ever be confused about that!

Here’s a look at the back. I used a plain, unbleached muslin.

Here are a few more photos taken after washing.

I love that texture!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts , Confessions of a Fabric Addict , Busy Hands Quilts , Rainbows Bunnies and Cupcakes

This entry was posted in Bed Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Vintage Daisies

1. Pingback: Vintage Quilts | KatyQuilts

2. chautauquagal67 says:

This is cute and the thirties fabrics make it extra sweet.

3. I like this one. It’s so colourful. I think the quilting is just right.

4. It is just beautiful. The design you used for quilting it is perfect, the black stitching looks just right, muslin on the back was the best choice. Wouldn’t you love to know the story of whoever it is who made the block? This is a real treasure.

5. Wow, what a stunning quilt! I had no idea that the dark/visible running stitch was an applique technique in the 1930s/40s. That step might make me more likely to do applique in the future–fits right in with my other experiments in using perle cotton.
    Thanks for linking up with TGIFF this week.

6. Mary Redrick says:

Your quilting is just beautiful!!!

7. Tami Von Zalez says:

I just want to wrap myself up in the quilt! You can tell those are “vintage” daisies – just – amazing~
    I too complete other quilter’s half-finished projects. It is so much fun. I almost prefer it to doing the piecing myself. That’s it – I’m a lazy piecer. *grins*
    Your quilting in the negative space is stunning too. I especially like the echos pattern.

8. Jenny Benton says:

You have done a wonderful job indeed, give yourself a pat on the back!

9. Roxanne says:

You put all the elements in place to bring this vintage beauty to life! Really love this!

10. Such a stunning contemporary quilting design on those sweet vintage flower blocks!!

11. Beyond gorgeous – love the variety in your quilting designs. They really enhance the quilt!!

12. Chantal L. says:

The quilting is so awesome! WOW! Love the fact that it’s not an all over pattern but yet, it is an all over quilting. It is simply gorgeous. GOOOORRRRRGEOUS! Congrats on this awesome finish. ;^)

13. Katy, it is gorgeous!! You made those blocks shine!

14. Sandra B says:

Awesome finish, Katy!
    I love the yellow background…really makes the daisies pop!! And your quilting design choices make a beautiful finish…. The black Perle cotton is a nice touch as well.
    As always, thanks so much for sharing!!

15. Sandra Croley says:

So nice! And I think it’s great to do machine quilting to get it to a completed quilt…finished is best! The original quilter would be so happy to see her blocks completed into a “real” quilt!

16. What lovely vintage blocks – love those fabrics! And your quilting enhanced them so.

Simply wonderful, Katy! A true treasure!

18. Bambi Pearson says:

Absolutely Beautiful!

19. Michelle says:

Beautiful !!! you’ve inspired me to work in the direction of my own long arm quilter…I love your work and want to learn that now !!! thanks for all the inspiration I get from watching yours !!!

20. Diane in AZ says:

I have loved this quilt from the blocks onward. How wonderful to see the process and the big finish. It is splendid!

21. This is perfection Katy!! It makes my heart smile😍
    As always, insanely impressed!!
    Izola

22. That is perfection Katy!! 😍

23. Wonderful!! Bet the lady who started it is beaming down from above.

24. This is wonderful!! Bet the woman who started it is beaming down from above.

Beautiful! Hugs,

26. blackeyedsewsan says:

SO LOVE this quilt-I love the design that you quilted on the vintage blocks. A real homerun! Susan

27. Jocelyn Thurston says:

I loved this beautiful retro style quilt. The addition of black perle cotton stitching was an inspired touch!

28. Oh I love how you finished it!!

29. Sharon says:

Your quilt is beautiful! I especially love the photo with the snow. The original quilter would have been so glad to see her blocks finished into such a beautiful quilt. It was so nice of you to salvage these vintage blocks.

30. Val W says:

Beautiful quilt – that black stitching really adds a nice element to it. And you can tell how cold winter has been because you have no qualms about photographing this beauty in the snow!

31. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    I am sure that the person who originally made these blocks is so pleased that they found their way to you. You gave them the love and attention they deserved and turned them into a treasure to be used and enjoyed for generations. The quilting and overall care you took is so beautiful. ~smile~ Roseanne