Finish It Up Friday ~ Indigo Crib Quilt

As promised, here are the photos of my finished indigo crib quilt! This project had its beginnings in places unknown. The blocks were hand pieced and mighty wonky when  I found them in an Indiana antique shop some years ago.  I used some vintage fabric to sash each block and then trimmed them all to the same size and sewed them together.

I used a Baptist Fan stencil that I had to mark this for quilting. By eye, I added arcs in between each of the marked ones so it would have the close quilting I wanted. You can see how wonky the blocks are.

Here is a closeup showing the binding.

I pieced together some vintage feed sacks to use for the backing. I love how the quilting shows up here! My hand quilting is not great, but I have found that with lots of close quilting, you notice the texture more than the individual stitches.  The texture is what I love.

It is living here in m family room for now.

Time to come up with another hand quilting project!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictBusy Hands QuiltsCrazy Mom QuiltsDevoted Quilter

This entry was posted in Baby Quilts, Finishes, Hand quilting, Uncategorized, Vintage Quilts. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Indigo Crib Quilt

1. Sharon says:

The quilt came out beautiful Katy! I love really simple blocks and colors. Those are my favorites.

2. Val W says:

Your hand quilting on this gem is a fabulous choice. It adds that texture we like in antique quilts. And that stripe of gold makes me smile every time I’ve seen you post this project.

3. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    What a beautiful quilt. I’m so glad you saved it and gave it the love it needed. I’m sure the original seamstress is smiling, and your hand quilting looks fabulous. Love the fan pattern. ~smile~ Roseanne

4. Ramona says:

How wonderful that you saved those blocks and created something beautiful with them. I love your hand quilting! It’s a gorgeous finish.

5. That is so sweet. Great job finishing it up.

It looks wonderful! Hugs,

7. The texture from the hand quilting is amazing! What a beautiful way to save those unused blocks 🙂

8. Eileen says:

A really pretty quilt, and the hand quilted fans look great…one of my favourite quilting patterns!

9. Jan Smith says:

The bit of imperfect piecing makes it wonderful, I think. You’re hand quilting looks really nice! Did you find the backing any more difficult to quilt?

10. Judy B says:

I too have some antique blocks. Mine too are wonky. They are double pink solid churn dash. I have used one in a wall hanging that is at the hand quilting stage. I am a novice, so it will not be completed any time soon. I love your indigo block quilt! Well done!

11. Carie says:

Oh that came out beautifully – and what an amazing back story to the blocks!

12. Mary C says:

I love this quilt.

13. Carolyn says:

Oh so beautiful!

14. Jenny Benton says:

So beautiful – and it must be a great feeling to be able to bring new life into those antique quilt blocks. The Baptist Fan quilting is so right for your quilt – and it looks lovely hanging on display in your home. Congratulations on such a wonderful finish.

15. quiltipatti says:

love your indigo quilt. i admire your patience in hand quillting it so well. most of the hand quilters i know quilt as little as possible (drives me nuts personally but it’s not my quilt). this quilt looks marvelous on your wall. congrats on a great job. quilti hugs, patti in florida

16. What a pretty, classic little quilt! It’s so nice that you salvaged those old blocks into something so nice 🙂

17. That turned out really nice. I especially like the binding. So interesting! And your hand quilting looks just fine, lovely in fact!