Finish It Up Friday ~ Improv Stripes QAL

Sometimes a quick project is just what you need. The Improv Stripes QAL hosted by Debbie at A Quilter’s Table fit the bill for me this week.

I always get questions when I show a quilt that I have quilted in what I call a random grid. I don’t measure, use rulers, or any type of channel locks. I just randomly place lines going one direction.

Then I take the quilt off the long arm frame and reload it the other direction and quilt random lines that way, forming a grid.

Random can be harder to achieve than you might imagine!

I decided to finish this quilt with a facing instead of a binding.

This is what the back looks like.

The quilting lines here are about a half inch apart. I love the texture! I used Glide thread in Celery for the quilting. This quilt measures about 18 by 33 inches.

I didn’t really know what I was making when I started, but I’ve decided to use this for a table runner.

I could hang it, but that begs the question, which way is up?

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictBusy Hands Quilts

This entry was posted in Art Quilts, Finishes, Long Arm Quilting, Longarm Quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Improv Stripes QAL

1. Julierose says:

this is a beautiful finish–love the quilting and the muted colors hugs, Julierose

2. Diane says:

I really like this quilt. When I saw it as a work in progress I wasn’t so sure. All your quilts turn out wonderful.

3. Lois Stimax says:

I think it could be hung horizontally too! That makes it the perfect table runner-a great view for everyone standing or sitting around the table!! So cool!!

4. Ariane says:

I love it! The warm colours are beautiful! It makes a beautiful table runner. Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

5. Oh, Katy! I love this! It looks really great on your table; the colors work really well. All of mine are still in the “chunk” stage. I hope to work on them this weekend (I have an idea/plan).

6. Preeti says:

Very chic, very modern – crisp and artsy too. It may have been a fast finish but it is fabulous too!!!

7. Kathy h says:

That looks beautiful on your table. Love how it turned out. I have tried those random lines too and random is pretty hard for me to do!

8. aquilterstable says:

oh this turned out SO nice! Love your quilted grid – that’s a favorite of mine too. And how nice to finish with a facing. It’s so pretty on your table! Thanks so much for joining along!!

9. anudge says:

Beautiful! You have such a knack for taking photos of your creations.

I love it!!! The quilting design is a perfect choice for this one. The fabric is beautiful, I love the colors. Hugs,

11. Pat in WNY says:

That makes for a perfect table runner. I’d thought it was larger until you mentioned the measurements – those are very skinny stripes! Love it.

12. rl2b2017 says:

Hi Katy,
    I love the fabrics in this table runner. That celery thread really seems to highlight all the different colors yet it fades into the background, too. I love doing grids, and it’s something I can actually do on my DSM. ~smile~ Roseanne

13. Nancy says:

I like the colors you chose to use together, Katy. It’s a beautiful finish.

14. Ursula says:

What a lovely quilt. Sometimes we forget that a project doesn’t have to be big…doesn’t have to be preplanned…doesn’t have to have a purpose ahead of time. Sometimes a project just needs to be fun to make. Everything else will come together afterwards. Thanks for the inspiration.

15. Jasmine says:

This looks great! Thanks for explaining your random grid. I always imagined you used channel locks. Your way sounds both easier and harder. 😉

16. It’s lovely! It looks especially good on your wood table. And you are absolutely right about random! lol