Bucket List Quilt

Have you seen this tiny quilt on Pinterest? It has been on my quilt bucket list for a few years.

I finally decided to make a little kit so I could make it in Wisconsin. I used almost all vintage fabrics.

I kept thinking about this little kit, and since I was up early one morning, I decided to just piece the hour glass blocks.

I made them to finish at 2 inches. They looked too big to me.

So I decided to trim them down so they would finish at 1 1/2 inches.

Here is a little trick I use in very tiny quilts. I take Mountain Mist Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting and split it.

You have to be careful not to create holes, but it gives an extremely thin batting that works well for teeny tiny quilts.

Then I layer my backing, batting, and top and give it a press. I lay something on top and let it sit until it cools. In this case, I used a cutting mat from my die cutter.

Now I’m ready to hand quilt. I still had time before I needed to leave the house and run errands,  so I got that done too.

Since I was this far along, I went ahead and finished it as soon as I got home.

It finished at about 4 1/2 by 6 1/2 inches. I used a piece of old feedsack on the back.

Can you spot the only nonvintage fabric that I used?

Well, this little project never made it to Wisconsin! But it is off my bucket list!

This entry was posted in Doll Quilts, Finishes, Uncategorized, Vintage Fabrics. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Bucket List Quilt

1. What a cute little mini! If I were to guess, I’d say it was the green/black piece on the top left? Maybe?

This is precious! I just love it. Is the binding the new fabric? Hugs,

3. Cathy says:

Your little quilt is so darn cute.

4. yanicka says:

My those pieces are small đŸ™‚ The binding?

5. Ariane says:

What a super cute quilt!!

6. Quiltmouse says:

So Cute!! I’ve been collecting ideas for mini quilts to make, but not any this small. Thank you for the two hints I got from you in this post. One, to split the batting for a thin layer and Two, making the mini blocks somewhat bigger and trimming down rather than fiddling with very small pieces. Safe Travels!

7. Sharon says:

So sweet! I love making minis because they finish so much faster and they are much easier to quilt. I would say the binding is new but it may be a trick question!

I would guess the one green sashing piece that’s different from the others. This mini is so darling with your toy machine. Congrats on crossing something off your quilt bucket list.

9. anudge says:

Is it the binding? A wild guess. A cute little quilt.

10. How sweet! And, I think the non-vintage might be the green that looks like berries. It is hard to tell because I think I have all of these in repro and antique, but I think that green one is a Farmhouse repro. It is such a fun little quilt!

11. gayleburton says:

so, so sweet! Sometimes I’ll use flannel for batting in really small quilts, but I never thought of separating regular batting. Thanks for the great idea!

12. Terri says: