DWMonday ~ Vintage Daisies

I have other projects that I need to work on, but I was in the mood for something different. So I pulled out these daisy blocks that I finished last fall and squared them all up. They currently measure 17 1/2 inches square. Now to decide how to set them.

There are 20 blocks so they will be set 4 by 5, but there is no good way to make the setting symmetrical.

I’m leaning toward the first picture. Feel free to weigh in!

Linking up with Love Laugh Quilt

This entry was posted in Design Wall Monday. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to DWMonday ~ Vintage Daisies

1. i agree with you- #1 looks (probably) the best. #2 leaves a big blank line down the middle, so I’d not recommend that one.. # 3&4 look a bit too hodge-podge… . the last one looks ok, too, if not predictable… I like the symmetrical look, or else totally random..

2. Lois Stimax says:

I like the last arrangement best. It makes me think they are in a field with the wind blowing them all in one direction!

3. I like the last arrangement best, maybe because it’s more traditional and I’m used to seeing them that way. Maybe mixing it up a little would be good!

4. blackeyedsewsan says:

The last one hits me the best…went with the x’s for a TEENY minute and then changed my mind. Scrolling through repeatedly & quickly helped me decide. Susan

5. SarahB says:

Those are wonderful!

I like the first photo.

The other option would be to do a variation of the next to last photo–do what you did in the first two rows again for the second two. So stems down but alternate direction each row.

Looking forward to more!

6. sue says:

I do like the first one first and then the last one second.

7. Pat K says:

I like the last one best….

8. Diane says:

Beautiful quilt. I like the first and last layout.

9. First one or penultimate one for me! ☺

10. Terri Bertalan says:

Love the blocks and I like layout #7, the last one. I’m sure it will be beautiful anyway you put it together πŸ™‚

11. Okay, first of all, LOVE these daisy blocks! If they were mine, I would set them like your last photo EXCEPT that I would alternate the stem direction every other row. So all the odd numbered rows would have stems pointing to the lower right corner as in your photo, but all the even numbered rows would have their stems pointing to the lower LEFT corner. Try that and see what you think.

12. Sandra B says:

Love these blocks, Katy! I am leaning towards the first layout as well, but if you decide on another setting, I am sure it will be great…. I know you will end up with a great setting, whatever you choose….. Cannot wait to see what you end up doing!

13. June says:

I definitely like the last one the best. It will be a beautiful quilt, though, whatever you decide.

14. Janet O. says:

As my eye traveled down through the photos, I never felt settled until I reached the last photo. I think this is why–in the previous photos the different stem directions became the thing that drew my attention. When I came to the last photo it was as if I could relax and enjoy the flowers without the stems creating a distraction.

15. Sarah F says:

I prefer the last one. I am like Janet O. If I didn’t do that one then I would use the first setting.

16. Bonnie in Va says:

Great blocks. I was thinking oh, the four stems together and then the extra four done like the fourth picture. But eh, doesn’t do much for me. The bottom picture is what my eye wants to see but it is also the expected, traditional look. I like the 1st and the 6th one. Maybe you want to take off some of the stems? Or add more? Nah, just kidding! I’m sure what ever you pick will look great.

17. Carol says:

The last one is best. The stems are a distraction in the other ones. In the last one, the flowers themselves become the focus.

18. Diane in AZ says:

I like the first or the last…but the first one is playful and cheery. I would go for it!

19. anudge says:

I’m thinking the first one, too, however, imho, I think those corners need something – maybe three leaves where the stems meet. So pretty.

20. Lin McQ says:

I’m in agreement with Janet O. Those stems were causing confusion for me until I saw the last picture. Before I saw the last photo, I was thinking you needed to add more stems and have them meet in the middle where the blocks were stitched together. Those daisies are so fun and cheerful, it will be a lovely quilt.

21. Janette Schiedler says:

Would the quilt be too big of you set the locks on point? You could add alternate blocks, or sashing, or just some setting triangles around the outer edge.

22. Val W says:

I like the quilt with all the blocks oriented the same way. It looks classic, like the block.

23. Esther Funk says:

I like the last arrangement best. I agree with Janet – you can relax and enjoy the flowers without the stems creating a distraction.

24. Lisa says:

I like the way the blocks look in the last picture, with all the stems going in the same direction. In the other pictures the stems take way from the flowers, all you see are the stems!

25. janicekholton says:

Oh my! Decisions! Of the options you showed, I like the first one too but was wondering if you had tried an option where everything was just totally random?

26. anna says:

I like the last one best, and I also was thinking on point.

27. NorahS says:

I like the last picture. It feels more natural and less forced to me. Just my opinion. πŸ™‚

28. I like the last one, did you try doing one row of flowers with the stems to the right and the next row the stems to the left? OR you could do sashings and separate all stems.
    Good luck!

29. I wholeheartedly agree that #1 is the best……it’s the one that looks like it was planned that way and not settled on. πŸ™‚ It’s going to be a beautiful quilt!!