DWMonday ~ Still working on the Eagle Quilt

I have gotten a little farther on the eagle quilt.

I didn’t want this to end up square so I thought I better do something  to add length sooner rather than later. At this point, it is 36 inches wide by 54 inches long.  I’m playing with border ideas now.

Someone suggested using this Star fabric rather than the flags for cornerstones and I’m liking this much better. But I’m considering other options as well. Those stripes might be a bit overwhelming.

Thank you all for the last very comments over the weekend. With Daughter #2 home and a trip to see my parents, I’m once again very far behind in responding.

Linking up with Patchwork TimesLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up Quilts

14 Responses to DWMonday ~ Still working on the Eagle Quilt

1. It looks beautiful. I love the stripes, but it might be a bit busy. I think the star corners are perfect along with the word borders.

2. Ramona says:

I love the stripes for the border. They keep my eye on the Eagle. The border with words is nice, but I am trying to read what it says and not looking at the Eagle. He is the star of the show. It’s going to be a wonderful quilt.

3. Kathy D says:

Think you could go either way, but the stripes might be a bit busy. A version of this quilt “might” be in the next group of QOV tops coming your way to longarm. I added my length (to make it not square) later rather than sooner – you’ll see what I mean when your schedule allows time for such things!

4. I have to admit, I like the striped border. It really makes the whole quilt pop, and I think it puts more emphasis on the eagle. I agree, though, that you could go either way, so you decide what you like and go with it.

5. Love it. All of a sudden I see the eagle so clearly. I have no idea why I couldn’t see it earlier! So strange! It’s beautiful!

6. Susan says:

I like version two, but what about putting a narrower band of the striped fabric as the next border? That stripe does give it a good punch, though it’s width in version one is a bit overpowering. Otherwise, I like where this piece is going!

7. A piano key border using red, blue, and some of your background fabric. Don’t you love all these recommendations? LOL I am assuming this will be a wall hanging?

8. quiltipatti says:

your eagle is fantastic. what you have done truly makes it stand out and uplifts it, imnsho. maybe you could use the stripe in the binding and/or add a similar small border (like the blue) on the outside of the blue, add the letter fabric and bind with the stripe. i pretty much like all your ideas so i say go with what makes you feel good. patti in florida pleal@cfl.rr.com

9. Bonnie in Va says:

This is coming along nicely. I like the idea of the stripe fabric but can see that it might be overpowering. So, how about using it as the binding. Using it as a small border sounds good too but I think I’d audition that before committing.

10. Paula says:

I love the effect of the flying geese. I’m sure whatever you decide will work well. You have a good eye.

11. Janet O. says:

The geese are a really nice touch, and I like the stars in the corners.
    Personally, I prefer the striped border. If it seems overpowering I might narrow it just a tad, but I think it helps emphasize the eagle.

12. Kate says:

I really like the striped border. It nicely echoes the lines in the center eagle. But it all depends on the look you are going for.

13. Mary P says:

I agree, though, that you could go either way, so you decide what you like and go with it. I like the idea of the stripe fabric but can see that it might be overpowering.

14. Mariag says:

I agree, though, that you could go either way, so you decide what you like and go with it. I agree, though, that you could go either way, so you decide what you like and go with it.