Scrappy Fence Rail and Our Scrappy Nation

Last Monday I shared with you the beginnings of my current leader/ended project. I always have questions about this. Bonnie Hunter has a great explanation of leaders/enders here. Anyway, I decided to set my blocks into the fence rail pattern instead of making it the same as my previous scrappy rectangle quilt.

So far, I have twenty blocks made. Sadly, I don’t have near enough scrappy bits with me to make this as big as I would like. I want 64 blocks, although I could get by with 49 and border. This container is the size of a shoebox and these are all the pieces I have left.

This is what 9 blocks look like side by side. You can also catch a glimpse of one of my assistants in this photo.

I believe scrap quilts are my all time favorite type of quilt. The endless variety of prints, colors, styles…..it is always a wonder, but they end up making a unified whole. Each individual piece is a little bit of cotton cloth, not much by itself, but together, wow! The pieces don’t even have to match to be beautiful side by side. In fact, the result is often better when they don’t!

I believe there is a great lesson here for our deeply divided nation this week. We must remember that we are all like those scraps of cloth, individually we cannot do much. But we are all Americans, cut from the same cloth. Together we make up something so much greater than ourselves. We don’t have to be identical, our differences make this patchwork nation beautiful. But we are all pieces of the same quilt. This past election has been ugly, but it is over and time for our nation to come back together, to mend. The demonstrations and continued ugliness tear at the very fabric of our nation. Yes, there are many who are bitterly disappointed and say their grief must be acknowledged. They must also remember that there are many others who have felt this same grief for the past eight years. When one group hurts, we all hurt. I believe the Apostle Paul said it best:
“Christ is just like the human body—a body is a unit and has many parts; and all the parts of the body are one body, even though there are many. We were all baptized by one Spirit into one body, whether Jew or Greek, or slave or free, and we all were given one Spirit to drink. Certainly the body isn’t one part but many. If the foot says, “I’m not part of the body because I’m not a hand,” does that mean it’s not part of the body? If the ear says, “I’m not part of the body because I’m not an eye,” does that mean it’s not part of the body? If the whole body were an eye, what would happen to the hearing? And if the whole body were an ear, what would happen to the sense of smell? But as it is, God has placed each one of the parts in the body just like he wanted. If all were one and the same body part, what would happen to the body? But as it is, there are many parts but one body. So the eye can’t say to the hand, “I don’t need you,” or in turn, the head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”

If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part gets the glory, all the parts celebrate with it. You are the body of Christ and parts of each other.”

‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭12:12-21, 26-27‬ ‭CEB‬‬

Please join with me in praying for the healing of our nation.

Linking up with Quilting is More Fun Than Housework

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Civil War Repro Quilts, Leader/Ender, Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Scrappy Fence Rail and Our Scrappy Nation

1. Jan Smith says:

Beautiful piecing, and beautiful sentiments!

2. Kathi says:

I am working on a scrappy quilt also… will make a post soon if you are interested… hope to share at Kathy’s for slow stitching day!!
    I am standing WITH you as we work to unite as a country… not a president’s job but each of our job to do something nice when and where we can… kindness is free too! 🙂 Kathi

3. Thankfully reaction to the Brexit vote didn’t evolve into violent street demonstrations but the hurt, fear and anger expressed through social media was/is very tangible and remains devisive. But the country hasn’t ground to a halt or fallen into economic turmoil. We are 5 months on from our political shock and there is an acceptance which makes looking forward and also rediscovering what unites us more plausible. I do hope and pray for peace in your country as the shock subsides.

4. Lois Stimax says:

Amen sweet sister. We need to heal!

Lois Stimax

Sent from my iPhone

5. Patti A. says:

I also am a lover of scrap quilts yours is great!
    What a wonderful writing on the healing of America thank you for writing it!! It is all so true.

6. Melanie says:

Scarp quilts are also my faves. Thank you for the sentiments regarding our nation’s healing. So very true and time to accept and move on graciously as we all prosper and grow. :o)

7. Melanie says:

Oops, I meant SCRAP quilts….but maybe scarp quilts are nice, too. LOL

8. Mary says:

Scrap quilts are my favorite ones also.

Thank you for your lovely post about our country. Wise words for all that are willing to listen.

9. Jean says:

I happened on to your blog and our pastor quoted the same scripture this am. Love your scrappy quilt.

10. Feeling the scrappy love! May our country be mended like a cherished quilt.

Scrap quilts are easily a favorite of mine. Thank you so very much for quoting 1 Corinthians‬ ‭12:12-21, 26-27‬. It’s really appropriate for our times. God bless you, Katy!

12. A delightful scrappy quilt. God bless you for expressing what this country needs now, lots of prayer.

13. June Damrow says:

This was beautifully written. Thank you for the message!

14. anudge says:

Excellent post, beautiful beginning to top. Our nation and my fellow citizens are always in my prayers.

15. Luann says:

May the love of God heal all the wounds.
    Amen.

16. Karen says:

Very well said.

17. Sandra B says:

Thank you, Katy! Beautiful post concerning our nation!

Love the setting of your rectangles! Gives them a fresh look …and once again, I have to say that I am always amazed at the beautiful quilts that are made from the simplest of shapes….and Civil War reproduction fabrics are my favorites!! This is going to be an awesome quilt!!

18. Katy! You have hit it out of the park with your election comment. We did not riot when the current person was elected twice, we just swallowed our concerns and went on living. The current person in the White House could stop the ugliness but he chooses to let it fester. Thank you for the wonderful words. All true! I know that many prayers were answered and God hears them.

19. Ariane says:

Your scrappy rail fence blocks look amazing!! I’m adding this to my want to make list!

20. Pat Anderson says:

Well said! Our country is sadly lacking in faith and patriotism…we just saw the movie “Hacksaw Ridge” and what a great reminder of both. It is about the first conscientious objector to become a Medal of Honor winner in WWII…although he wouldn’t bear arms, he single-handledly saved 75 lives. It is a very graphic movie, but was such a great reminder of what our nation was founded on. As a military family, we were very moved.

21. dezertsuz says:

Love the quilt, love the analogy. Want some scraps? =)

22. Ginette L Rostedt says:

Thank you! Well said post.

23. Janice Bowen says:

I’m just now getting to respond to this post. Thank you for not being ashamed of the gospel and tying the concept of your scrap quilt together so nicely with the situation in our nation.

I teach at a small Baptist college in central Arkansas and have shared your post with my students before praying about the healing and spiritual revival our nation needs.

Again, thank you.

24. Zenia Rene says:

Bravo! Thanks for this truth filled reminder!

25. Janice O'Connell says:

Thank you so much, I was drawn in by the quilt, but when you use it to give us The Word…..in all things praise Him!