Blogger’s Quilt Festival 2017! ~ Original Design Category

It is that time of year again! Amy over at Amy’s Creative Side is once again hosting the Blogger’s Quilt Festival.
I’ve decided to enter my QR Code quilt into the Original Design Category this time.

IMG_9569

Here’s the story behind the making of the quilt.  I used a free online QR Code generator to get this:

My road map!  I used this Fusible Quick Grid product. You cut all of the squares you need, place them in position on the fusible grid and fuse them in place.

IMG_6549

It was a good move. It was like a jigsaw puzzle to put all the pieces in place and that was quite fun! This shows all the squares fused in place.

And with the rows in one direction sewn, you can really see how the size changes.

Next came borders and quilting. I wasn’t sure how the quilting would go with the layer of fusible in this, but it worked out just fine.

IMG_9573

IMG_9579

I quilted this in a simple free hand grid. No rulers. I just eyeballed the middle of each one inch square. When I got all the lines done in one direction, I took it off the long arm frame and rotated it 90 degrees and reloaded it. I love this backing fabric from Ikea!

IMG_9570

You can see the quilting better here. It is far from exact, but it works for me.

IMG_9571

IMG_9576

And there you have it. A long story indeed for a small quilt! Best of all, it works! If you have a QR Code scanner app on your phone or mobile device and scan this quilt (even the picture of it), it will bring you to my blog! How cool is that? It makes this nerdy little heart happy🙂.

Head on over to Amy’s Creative Side to see more of the Blogger’s Quilt Festival! You may even win some prizes.

Linking up with Quilt FabricationSew Fresh Quilts

27 Responses to Blogger’s Quilt Festival 2017! ~ Original Design Category

1. Betsy says:

It is beautiful, two quilts in one! Love it

2. Val W says:

That is so clever! It’s great that it is an actual QR code, and it goes to your blog.

3. Very clever and such an original idea! Good luck!!

4. Jayne says:

I need some of that fusible grid paper! I’m so happy to see this one again! Nerdy? Maybe, but how cool is the quilt and the fact that you can scan it?!! So clever!

5. Margaret says:

What fun! You’ve taken something under my radar and made it exciting. Thanks for sharing.

6. Sherrill Pecere says:

Yep, it does work. Before I even got to the end where you said where it takes you, I scanned it and it went straight to your blog. What a great idea and turned out fantastic!!

7. Wow! I love everything about this – both the quilt and the post! What a clever and unique design idea, first of all. And that it actually is a working code! Brilliant!!! You really need to market this!

Good luck! I love your little quilt and really love your backing! It just makes me smile. Hugs,

9. Ariane says:

Such a wonderful quilt. I love it!!

10. Cécile says:

I remember this wonderful and clever quilt !
    Fingers crossed for you dear Katy !

11. Janet O. says:

SO clever of you, Katy! I love it–and the fact that it actually works is amazing!!

12. Wonderful–and I love the back.

13. Melissa says:

Love it! Love the black & white, love the quilting, and LOVE the fish fabric on the back! Voting for you for Quilters choice in BQF! 🙂

14. June Damrow says:

That quilt is so darling! It’s the cutest geometric one I’ve seen, and the backing fabric is perfect. Red, white and black is my favorite! Where did you get the hanger-top clips to display it?

15. Alycia says:

Oh I love it!!! The drama of the fabrics is amazing!!

16. I love it! That QR code is awesome! 🙂

17. That is awesome!! A quilt code! Clever and striking to boot!

18. Zenia Rene says:

This quilt is awesome! I’m so glad you decided to enter it! Good providence my friend. =)

19. Susan says:

Katy – a great entry for the Original Design category. And the back is just as pretty! Thank you for sharing this on Midweek Makers

20. Sandra B says:

Love this little quilt, Katy! Big impact from a small project!!

21. Lois C says:

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a QR layout! I once used fusible grid to make a small floral wall hanging and found the process to be fun but tedious when it came to cutting the intersections on the back. This response is several days later because I lost my ability to post to WordPress when I cleared my history the night before. Boy! I’ll think twice before doing THAT again.

22. Great job! I have a QR Code quilt designed for my blog too, but I haven’t made it yet. You’ve inspired me to get my design out & make it!

23. Elzaan says:

This is by far the best original quilt design! I love it.

24. Jennifer Suleiman says:

This is fantastic! I adore that backing fabric!

25. Brenda Keever says:

Love it how big is it. I would love to make one for my granddaughter