Rearranging

I needed to evict some serious dust bunnies from the quilting room last week. I decided to try rearranging a few things in the process. I really wanted more design wall space. My sewing room is very large, but wall space is at a premium. I also wanted to get my Singer 201 out where I could use it.

So first, I cleared off my bulletin board and covered it with a Fons & Porter Design Wall sheet. And moved my large sewing desk so I could reach the wall.

I know, I still have stuff in front of it, but at least I can use it for miscellaneous blocks and such. If I decide to keep using it, I will lose the big apple!

I moved the sewing desk to the island and dropped a 301 in it.

I’ve been using this machine as my daily piecing machine since I picked it up at a yard sale this summer. It is nice to have it set into the desk.

And my 201 is uncovered and ready for use over here.

A month or so ago, I picked up an enamel table top while out junking with Daughter #3. It was just the top. Daughter #3 had the idea to use it as a magnetic note board. So that got hung up as well.

I also picked up a quilt ladder at a recent garage sale. It will do nicely to hold WIPs without having them moved out of sight.

You can see pictures of how this all looked when I first moved into this room here.

I love rearranging things, but most of the big things in my room are very much fixed in place, like the long arm and computer area. We’ll see how this goes. I’m still pondering possible changes. At least it is a lot cleaner than it was!

This entry was posted in Sewing Room Pics, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Rearranging

1. Ariane says:

Your room is looking great. I love all you different work stations. My sewing room is due for a cleaning too. Maybe on my next day off. Thanks for sharing.

2. yanicka says:

You have a great looking room. I am due for a dust bunny chase too….but it is just no fun πŸ˜‰

3. I love rearranging and cleaning things up. It seems to give the space a new energy. Your room is fabulous! Did you paint the cabinet your 201 is in? I just inherited one and would love to spruce up the cabinet so I’m interested in how you did yours. Trying to remember if I read a post about it….

4. Barb Vedder says:

wow – what an incredible sewing room! I have the same fun button rug πŸ™‚

5. piecefulwendy says:

Thanks for the tour; what a great place to sew! I love, love, love that little red sewing table. It looks so cozy with the quilt hanging behind it and that lovely little machine just waiting to be used.

6. You have some great yard sale finds! I have two 301s and I LOVE them! I also have a pretty sweet 15-90 but the timing is off right now. I love how you have all of your machines dropped in tables. My 15 and one 301 are flat but all my others just sit on a table when I use them. Also, the 301 cabinet is real small, but it is the very cute No. 74 Trapezoid! Design walls are the best. I hope your new setup works for you. Thanks for sharing! I am crazy about studio tours.

7. anudge says:

What a gorgeous space to create! I enjoyed going to the links you provided. It was interesting to see how it evolved.

8. Val W says:

What a fabulous space to sew and create! The only way it could be better is if you were able to have natural daylight from some windows. Very impressive!

9. Wow, what a great space. It looks so organized and CLEAN! I don’t have dust bunnies, more like dust wombats! They are gigantic! I’d rather be quilting than dusting (or anything else resembling cleaning!)

10. Sandra B says:

Love your sewing space, Katy!! Love how you have it set up….that metal table top is great hanging up as a magnetic note board!! Perfect way to recycle!!
    My sewing space is way smaller than yours, so I am really jealous!!
    Thanks so much for sharing these photos….even though my sewing space is a lot smaller, I have still picked up a few pointers from seeing yours….Thanks again!!

11. 8machines says:

Wow! Wow! I’d love to have a room like that!! I have a long arm also but no room to put it up. That is an Amazing room!! Lucky Lady!!!!

12. Jayne Willis says:

To have that much space…You are so lucky! Every once in a while I get in a rearranging/cleaning mode. Since there isn’t lots of space, it doesn’t take long. I am still in love with that red desk!

13. gayleburton says:

Love seeing your studio Katy – it looks so organized and easy to find things! I have my Grandma’s 201 – what a great idea to paint the cabinet! FUN! And I have a pressing table that is nearly identical to yours – great minds think alike, right? Now I can ‘kinda’ understand how it is that you always get so much accomplished! (smile)

14. Great room! I went to your link to see how it first looked. The bucket with the batting caught my eye. How did you find a cotton plant that grows fully processed batting! Where can I get one?! I love your basket system. I finally got the Antonius basket frames from Ikea a couple weeks ago. I’m just thrilled with them.

15. I love how you used the table top as a magnetic board. Awesome idea!

16. Wow your studio is looking amazing!! I had cleared room for a full wall design wall and then when our shipping arrived from NZ lots of things found their way into that free space 😦