WIP Wednesday ~ Gee’s Geese

I had a number of questions regarding this project and I will try to answer those today. I also received in the comments of my Monday post, come very important info if you are using any of the Gee’s Bend kits.

I will start with that. Vivian mentioned that these are hand dyed fabrics and that with a kit she had, the dyes ran requiring multiple washes with color catchers. She suggested prewashing the fabrics. To be fair, the instruction sheet that came with the kit stated that this was a possibility. Since I have done my share of hand dyeing, I was prepared for this. But a good reminder if you have a kit and haven’t used it yet!

LuAnn asked about my process. She wondered if I knew ahead of time what exactly I was making and if I knew exactly how many of each shape to cut.

Usually, I do have a plan, even if I don’t always spill the beans on the blog! I like to keep you all guessing! I like knowing exactly how many of each piece I need and having them all cut before I start sewing.

But sometimes, like this time, I don’t really know where I am headed! I did know that I wanted to make flying geese. But not much beyond that. So I just started cutting. And as you can see above, I didn’t cut everything up yet.

After I had made a bunch, I started throwing  them up on the design wall.

I still don’t know where I am going with this, or even how big it will end up, but I am having fun. And sometimes, you just need to surprise yourself.

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts, Quilt Fabrication, Esther’s Blog

10 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ Gee’s Geese

1. quiltdivajulie says:

Sometimes those kinds of surprises are THE BEST. Happy stitching to you and your flock.

2. Jayne says:

All the geese together are gorgeous! You don’t always have to know where your going with a project, I usually don’t! It can be fun to play with what you have and see where it takes you. Hmmm…you like to keep us guessing?! Keep me guessing, just keep posting!

3. anudge says:

Opportunity like this keep the design genes humming.

4. Rochelle Summers says:

I like how it is looking. It has movement as well as being restful. Can’t wait to see the rest. I too find that using a color catcher with hand dyed fabric is a good way to catch those stray bits of color…sometimes needs to be done for several washings.

5. Susan says:

Love those kinds of quilts – they just evolve! Thanks for sharing on Midweek Makers

6. Linda Dutch says:

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses! Sometimes you simply just need to have some creative playtime!

7. Joanne says:

Geese are fun to play with. Enjoy playtime 🙂

8. I think we all suffer from Quilter’s ADD from time to time. At least you get things done! I keep thinking I will esttle into more of a rhythm when Fall finally arrives. We’ll see!

9. Judy Blinkenberg says:

How do you cut your geese that they all look the same? Do you use the GO cutter? I have one and have never used it. What if you need 1×3 geese? I’m doing a quilt along and would love to know. Thank you.