Finish It Up Friday ~ Honeycomb!

This darn thing is finally done! According to my blog, I started this on June 8th, just before my last trip to Phoenix. It feels like I have been working on this a lot longer than that! It is a very small quilt. It finished at about 23 inches square.

I wanted to quilt it simply so the piecing design would be the thing you noticed. I quilted this on my Bernina 1030 with a walking foot. I thought I would show you how I marked this. I started with a fairly large grid of about 2 1/4 inches. I was aiming for the center of the squares so I didn’t mark that interior of the quilt. But I needed to mark the borders so it wouldn’t go too wonky on the sides. I made creases in the fabric to follow.

And this is the tool I used. I think it is actually a point turner, but it works.

After this grid was quilted, I quilted another grid halfway between the lines of the first.

Not enough quilting for me! I did the same thing a third time so the quilting ended up at just a hair over a half inch apart.

That’s better.

Both the border and the binding fabric are what I call “nothing” prints. They appear solid from a distance and there isn’t anything really distinguishable about them But they are so very useful. These are the fabrics that make others really pop. I grab them whenever I see them.

The quilting really shows up in this next picture.

Here’s a peek at the backing fabric, a very old piece from my stash.

But a quilt is never done until it is washed and so I did. And it crinkled up quite nicely.

It hides my not so very straight lines!

The light was coming in just right to really capture the texture here.

You can tell when I am really glad  that something is done, I take more pictures of the finishes I am most happy to have off my list

That texture there? That is why I like lots of quilting!

Linking up with Confessions of a Fabric AddictSew Can SheQuilting is More Fun Than Housework, Busy Hands Quilts

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Doll Quilts, EPP, Finishes. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ Honeycomb!

1. Kathi says:

STELLAR finish there Katy… thanks for sharing such great shots of your quilt before and after washing also!!!! And your thought process.. I REALLY like how it finished up too!!! Kathi

2. Beautiful! Makes me want to get started on one! Thanks for sharing.

3. Val W says:

What a cute little quilt! It certainly stretched your patience and enthusiasm, but what a lovely result.

4. Mim sweigart says:

I love this “baby” quilt!!!

5. piecefulwendy says:

Well, if you’re really sick of the quilt, I could take care of it for you! I love it!

6. Sue B says:

That turned out great Katy, love the quilting.scb48083@aol.com

7. Sandra B says:

Amazing little quilt, Katy! I think that your “nothing” border was a perfect choice….it finishes off all those great little fabrics in the EPP blocks… The grid quilting was also a perfect choice, and I love the backing…. Thank you for telling us your process for the quilting ….I love using a crease to mark a quilting line…Easy to see, and nothing to wash out when done….perfect!!
    I have enjoyed following along on this little quilt’s journey to completion!!

8. Jayne says:

This is so great! I love the design and that quilting!!! I’m so glad you kept going and going with it. The second photo from the bottom looks like each square is a big puffy pillow! Gorgeous! It makes me want to start an EPP project…which I actually am! I’m with you on washing , a quilt isn’t finished until it’s washed!

9. Kathy D. says:

What a sweet little quilt; it came out really beautiful. Thanks for the reminder of what we can do with our domestic sewing machines with a little patience. That texture is great!

10. I would be whooping it up if I started a quilt in June and had a finish by August, especially such a lovely quilt. congrats

11. Sharon A Browne says:

What a beautiful little quilt! I love the design, the fabrics and even the quilting is perfect for it. I’m so glad you finished it. And 2 months isn’t at all a long time! Some of my projects are taking a lot longer than that. There is such a great feeling of satisfaction when you actually finish something.

12. Kathy, this is wonderful!! So happy for another finish for you! You’re right the texture is really cozy looking. I’d cuddle with that quilt!

13. JanineMarie says:

I LOVE it!! When I saw the picture on your last post, I had no idea the quilt was so small. That makes me love it even more, with all that quilting, the tiny prints and the crinkliness.

I love how it turned out. The quilting is wonderful, I love that too. Hugs,

15. I love all that texture! What a wonderful finish. Thanks for sharing with TGIFF this week!

16. Nancy says:

Well done! I think everything about this quilt is gorgeous. You may have been working on it a while but I only remember seeing it on your blog recently and it seems to me like you finished it very quickly.

17. Sarah Craig says:

That is a truly wonderful little quilt, Katy! I’m glad you added more quilting – it really works. Whoop whoop!!!

18. Liz says:

Absolutely amazing. I love it.

19. Wonderful quilt, love that texture too. Scrappys are my favorites.