WIP Wednesday – Diamonds

This top went together very fast!  The quilting, not quite so fast….

img_2379-1

I am using design boards to quilt this and the pattern is called Good Vibrations. This is what the board looks like.

Those lines are 3/4 of an inch apart. I stand at the back of the machine when using these and use a stylus that mounts on the machine and follows in the grooves of the board. Quilting the lines from right to left was a breeze. Going back from left to right the thread broke. Every. Single. Time. Ugh.

I changed the needle, cleaned, rethreaded, loosened the quilt sandwich, etc. I started stopping and starting for each and every row. After about 30 rows, I had a glass of wine and went to bed. img_6535

Whose idea was the red thread? I guess that would be me. Anyway, I got up in the morning and tried again. I found that if I turned the stitch regulator off and went slowly, I didn’t have the thread breakage problem. Yay! I am just always in a hurry I guess! I think Harry might want a spa day for cleaning and adjustment as well. I will have to make time for this. I don’t like it when he gets cranky!

Linking up with Sew Fresh QuiltsQuilt Fabrication

12 Responses to WIP Wednesday – Diamonds

1. Heide says:

I Love the red thread on this!

2. That is really nice. I’m glad you went with the red, along with the black and grey. I hope you show us a larger view of the whole quilt when it’s done.

3. Ann says:

Lovely piece. A glass of wine and going to bed is one of the best quilting tips out there.

4. Kathi says:

I love your red thread choice also! Looks very fun and modern!! I can’t wait to see the reveal 🙂

5. NOTHING is worse than breaking thread…well, maybe tension issues! Glad you solved the problem! I LOVE these wavy lines!

6. Jayne says:

The red thread is a great touch! Sometimes a glass a wine and walking away is the best solution!!

7. Janet O. says:

I would be very tempted to skip every other line of the groovy board to make it go faster–but then, I am lazy that way. It looks wonderful, but the thread breaking would be maddening!

8. Can’t believe this is pieced and being quilted already!! It’s looking so good.

9. Susan says:

Oh how painful quilting can be! Personally, I love the red thread and think it a great choice. And so glad you found a way to handle a fussy machine! Thanks for linking up at Midweek Makers
    Susan

10. Oh the frustration! And it seems like it happens on a day that you have a goal. Needing a quick & easy project after a labor intensive QOV(finally something on my blog!) I was piecing Eleanor Burn’s Blazing Star (love my new Accuquilt) I came back to the machine after a break intending to piece 3 more blocks before calling it a day. Nothing went right – thread breaks, pieces cut backwards. etc., I battled an hour for just one block.

Your quilting is wonderful on that quilt. Hard won but very beautiful.

11. piecefulwendy says:

I’ve been without electricity for almost 24 hours, so I’m catching up with you tonight. I love the red thread! Another great quilt, Katy! And yes, the wine and walking away was an excellent idea!

12. I love the red thread and I feel your pain. It’s so frustrating when the machine is finicky! But that looks great – want to see the whole thing! I love diamonds!