A Utility Quilt

Utility Quilt – A plain, basic practical use quilt that is made without fancy materials. It is meant for warmth and for your everyday bedding.
~ AccuQuilt Web Site
I think of utility quilts as those that are intended to get used up. Quilts you take to the beach or use for a picnic, the kind you change messy diapers on, these are utility quilts to me.
Daughter #3 has one of these. Last night she sent me pictures of it getting used.

I made this quilt in 2013 and it was supposed to be a Quilt of Valor. But when I washed it, the backing fabric bled to the front. Ugh! I was bummed, but also very glad that I washed it and did not give a bleeding quit to one of our  veterans! I tried using a color remover to remove the excess dye.

Do not do this!

This is what happened:

I was so disgusted, that I decided to throw it out. Daughter #3 was horrified and asked to have it for a car quilt. I happily handed it over.

And it is still being used. Last night, it went to the fireworks.

She is still happy to have it and has used it a lot.

I guess I’ll call that a win.

15 Responses to A Utility Quilt

1. Cécile says:

Oh Katy, i’m so sorry for what happened with colors, but sometimes…it happens and we are a lot of disappointed. …i’m glad this beautiful quilt stayed in your family !

2. Kathi says:

Glad you made this sweet quilt… sorry that the back ran to the front… I have never had that happen… I have heard and seen colors run to an ajoining color though… and the remedy didn’t remedy… yet this quilt is getting loved and enjoyed with memories and pics to share! Love that!!! Thanks for sharing the pics! Kathi

3. piecefulwendy says:

I have a small log cabin tablerunner that I had washed a few times, and when I washed it the next time, it ran! Not sure why, other than maybe a different laundry soap? Anyway, I still get frustrated when I see the quilt, stashed in my quilt pile, but never used much. I feel your pain. So happy the quilt was kept and is loved!

4. Sandra B says:

So glad this quilt is being used and loved….and what a great one to take to 4th of July fireworks!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

5. Val W says:

Just because it doesn’t meet our expectations, it doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t be thrilled to have a less-than-perfect quilt. I’m glad your daughter enjoys using this quilt – it’s like being wrapped in a hug from mom!

6. Quiltmouse says:

It is still a lovely quilt – just one with character! I love when a quilt is used. Rarely are the quilts I make actually ‘heirloom’ quality, but to be used and loved. I have used flannel as backing, but prewash even the best quality fabric. I always use those Color Catcher sheets when washing a quilt, even those that I don’t think will run. You daughter has an eye for beauty in even the less than ‘perfect’ – good for her!

7. Judy in MO says:

Hooray for your daughter to recognize that quilt still had value. Sometimes these are the best ones.

8. I’ve had fabrics bleed, but I’ve never had any react like that to the Color Catchers. I love that this quilt has found a home and is getting used.

9. Shirley says:

How neat that your daughter adopted this quilt and it is being used and loved:)

It’s a shame that happened, Katy, but at least it’s being put to good use. I love the simplicity of the design I’m always afraid to use red fabric for this very reason. .

11. Melanie says:

A similar horrifying experience happened when I inherited a lovely fan quilt top and, as a beginning quilting enthusiast, I washed it as I was sure the reds might bleed. Nope, it was one of the blues! I salvaged the quilt top (though there are oopses throughout) and handquilted it but doubt it will ever be washed again. This taught me a lesson, and I always wash my fabrics as soon as they come home with me from the quilt shops. Glad your quilt is being used and loved as mine is also. :o)

12. Your daughter is smart! So glad she rescued that wonderful quilt. Just as is true with humans and dogs, imperfections don’t disqualify a quilt from being a quilt! And it can definitely still serve its basic quilt function of keeping somebody warm or serving as a picnic blanket.

13. anudge says:

Definitely a win!

14. Chantal says:

Congrats to the smart daughter for rescuing the quilt. Don’t judge a book by its cover. It is still a useful quilt, if not for the first intended purpose, but still a quilt nevertheless. Warmth is warmth. Sucks for you though after putting so much work in it. I’m sure you would have used cheaper fabrics for the front if you had known about the back. Or never purchase the backing lol. ;^)

15. Definitely (!!!!!) a win —