Finish It Up Friday ~ The Tie Quilt

A friend of mine recently contacted me and asked if I would quilt a quilt for her made from men’s ties. Hmmm….that ‘s a new one for me! She gave me a few tie scraps so I could practice a bit and get the tension right. The entire quilt is not made from ties, just parts of these blocks:
The red print fabric is vintage and came from her mother’s stash. The border looks like a batik. I just love how these varied fabrics came together! I used continuous curve quilting in the blocks. The smallest pieces I did freehand, the larger bits I used templates to get a nice curve. I  used navy thread in the navy border, red in the “chains”, and khaki in the blocks and background. This took a lot longer than it would have had I used the same thread throughout, but I think it looks best.
 Here is a peek at it laying on my guest bed.

She will be gifting this beautiful quilt to her Bible Study leader. Lucky girl!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts, Confessions of a Fabric Addict,   Sew Can SheQuilt Matters, A Quilted Passion

This entry was posted in Finishes, Free Motion Quilting, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Finish It Up Friday ~ The Tie Quilt

1. This quilt looks amazing -very clever use of the ties and you’ve quilted it beautifully 🙂

2. Chantal says:

Congrats on this beautiful finish. Love the quilting design and the use of ties. Smart! ;^)

3. Wow, that’s a spectacular quilt. And your fabulous quilting is the icing on the cake.

It’s gorgeous! Hugs,

It’s fabulous and quite the challenge to quilt, I’m sure. You did an amazing job, Katy. It’s wonderful.

6. Awesome quilt and awesome quilting!

7. YANICKA says:

Such a great idea

8. Jennifer says:

The quilt is amazing as is your quilting.

9. What a lovely quilt and lovely quilting!! Did you keep the same thread in the bobbin even when you changed on top?

10. TAMMY L STACK says:

This is really nice!

11. Val W says:

What a fabulous result! I’m sure everyone will be thrilled. Plus you experienced the joy of trying something new – and succeeding!

12. Terri Bertalan says:

Beautiful quilt and you sure succeeding in adding more beauty to this quilt. The recipient will truly feel all the love that went into making this quilt.

13. anudge says:

A great repurposing of the ties. Beautiful quilt; beautiful quilting.

14. Lucky girl indeed! Your quilting is the perfect touch, Katy!

15. Patti says:

I’ve always liked the idea of a memorial tie quilt but this is the first pattern I love for this kind of quilt. Your quilting does complement it well.

16. Zenia Rene says:

What a lovely make and fabulous quilting. Kudos!

17. Judy in MO says:

Great quilt and I love the pattern. Did you interface the tie fabric or use as it was?

18. Laura Reavis says:

Absolutely gorgeous!! What is the name of the block you used? I am collecting ties to make a quilt and have been searching for pattern ideas. Your quilt is stunning!!