DWMonday

I wanted to do some machine piecing last night and I wanted to try out my log cabin die. The way the die is set up, one pass creates enough pieces for one block. But the lights would be all the same and the darks would be as well. I didn’t want to pull a bunch of different fabrics, so I went looking for one interesting piece. Here it is:

Perfect! I bought a 6 yard piece of this from Ikea a while back for $5. I chose white for my light and cut.

Turns out, I rather like piecing these once the bits are all cut.

I didn’t get very far, but I am liking this already.

I have a few rounds left to go. I’m not sure what this will grow up to be yet,  so stay tuned.

Linking up with Em’s Scrap BagLove Laugh QuiltCooking Up QuiltsPatchwork Times

This entry was posted in Accuquilt Studio Cutter, Design Wall Monday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to DWMonday

1. wow! looks great! I think I see a die cutter of some sort in my future….

2. I’ve thought about that die Katy. Now I’m even more convinced I would like it. Your solution for pulling a bunch of different fabrics is so smart – I really like how your fabric looks once its cut and switched up.

3. I have that die but haven’t used it yet.

4. Nann Hilyard says:

It’s so interesting the way the print fabric looks re-assembled . . . as though you’d used several prints, not just one.

5. Val W says:

Some quilters say not to cut up large prints because you lose their charm. You’ve proven them wrong. I love the energy in your blocks!

6. Karen says:

Very pretty. I love the two colors.

7. Melanie says:

I love how it’s going. Looking forward to how it turns out! 🙂

8. Sandra B says:

Love the look you get by using one fabric with an interesting print!

9. Julia Graber says:

I too like the look you get by using the beautiful Ikea fabric with the white fabric. Marvelous!

I love your fabric and how it shows up in the different strips. I look forward to see what happens. Have a good week. Hugs,

11. Bonnie in Va says:

You hit the nail on the head about using block dies. I haven’t bought any yet. I find your take on the situation a great idea. Hum, I may have to borrow my friend’s or break down and buy my own. On the other hand, I should finish the log cabin quilt I have started before succumbing to a new one! Looking forward to this quilt coming together.

Oh my goodness! I’ve longed for this die but thought the same thing. The multi-colored large print was just right for this. It’s going to be fabulous!

13. Cécile says:

So cute Katy and well done !

14. Barb Verschaeve says:

Katy. I follow you every day and I am amazed at your beautiful work. And this log cabin is just another beautiful work of art from your hands. Bless you sweetie and thanks for sharing you work and your personal life with all of us.

15. Jayne says:

Yes! What a cool fabric! I really like it with the white. The biggest hurdle is cutting all the pieces, but they do go together fast!

16. Oh, now look what you’ve done. I did not think I would like that die at all, but I do after seeing this post! And six yards for five dollars? SCORE! Your blocks really are beautiful.

17. Ramona says:

I used the log cabin die and cut men’s shirts for a baby quilt. I loved using it. You red fabric looks so good in the log cabin block with white fabric. It’s going to be a great quilt!

18. beth says:

Wonderful project for that beautiful fabric!

19. Em says:

I love log cabins. Your red fabric is gorgeous. Nice that your die cuts all the pieces at once.