Oh Scrap and a Bit of Slow Stitching

I’m still working on my leader/ender project, but I realized this week, that I made a major miscalculation! Yikes!

I was almost completely out of the blue fabric I was using for the alternate rectangles. The fabric I used has been in my stash for at least 15 years. I cut all of it up for this and thought I had just enough. I had half enough! So I made a little trip to my local JoAnn’s. Not a place I love to shop, but I was sure that is where I bought this blue originally. This is what I found:

Not a perfect match, but way better than I was expecting! I have cut up enough to finish this top.

The picture above shows the 33 blocks I have done at present. Each finishes at 12 inches. I plan to make 64 blocks so the top will be 96 by 96 inches before borders. I think I will add just one 3 or 4 inch border to make it bigger.

And in slow stitching news, I finished the quilting of my 4 patch quilt and I have moved on to finishing the hand sewing on the binding.

This entry was posted in Scraps, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Oh Scrap and a Bit of Slow Stitching

1. Bonnie in Va says:

Wonderful match after 15 years. I’m glad I’m not the only one who has old fabric hanging around. except not many of my really old pieces have great quantities of fabric around. If you scatter the second fabric over the whole quilt it will look more like a design idea and less like I ran out.

2. Cathy says:

Whew! Good save!

3. Sandra says:

Always a pleasure to see a beautiful scrappy quilt!

4. Kate says:

Great idea for a scrap quilt!

5. Shasta says:

Glad you found a good match for the fabric.

6. gayle says:

What a lucky find! I love working with older fabrics out of my stash, but the risk of running out mid-project is really kind of scary!

7. CathieJ says:

That is a pretty good fabric match. I really hate when I don’t have enough of what I want to use…..especially once I have started the project.

8. Quiltmouse says:

Oh, it is so frustrating to run out of fabric in the middle of a project! I’ve been on such fabric “scavenger hunts” before and not been so successful! Happy Stitching!

9. Whew! So glad you found a close match. I’ve run out in the middle of the project – and when I went back to the store, they were out of the fabric I’d just purchased 3-4 days earlier. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

10. Glad you were able to find a substitute. It is a great scrap quilt. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Pretty darned good, Katy!! Congrats on finding such a great match!

12. That was a lucky save! And since it’s used in between lots of other fabrics, I don’t think the very slight difference will show at all.

13. Deb says:

Glad you found a fabric that will work. Don’t you just hate when you think you have plenty and then …. oops! Enjoy your slow stitching. Love how you quilted that one.

14. Linda Dutch says:

Glad you found something suitable! Bit of a fun challenge for you, am sure any slight variation will only add interest!

15. tubakk says:

So glad you found the right fabric. Will give you a beautiful quilt.

16. Nice save! How wonderful that you found something so close. It looks great!

17. Just love this scrap quilt coming together!

18. kaholly says:

Boy, you can’t complain about that match after all this time! Whew!

19. Alycia says:

Oh my gosh – that is just turning out so great!! I hate it when math goes wrong ;-(

20. Nancy says:

Lucky you to have found such a close match, Katy. This quilt will be wonderful when finished. I love how it look snow.

21. Sharon A Browne says:

Love this scrap quilt! You were lucky to find such a close match so many years later. I love using older fabrics from my stash but hate it when there’s not enough and I need to substitute.

22. Nicky says:

you have a gorgeous scrappy quilt in the making! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday