Design Wall Monday ~ Bow Ties

Last fall, I participated in a block swap hosted by Barb at Fun with Barb. I received this lovely pile of blocks back.

IMG_5598

I have been thinking about using them to surround a center panel. I bought both of these last September when I visited Homestead Hearth in Mexico, MO.

I hate that panels are so often printed crooked! Anyway, I tried out each panel to see how they would look surrounded by the bow tie blocks.

I decided I liked General Grant best since these blocks are all made with Civil War repro prints.

This is still up on the design wall and so it is all subject to change. But I think I like where this is headed.

Linking up with Patchwork Times, Cooking Up Quilts, Love, Laugh, Quilt and Em’s Scrap Bag

This entry was posted in Civil War Repro Quilts, Design Wall Monday, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Design Wall Monday ~ Bow Ties

1. Jan says:

Katy, what about changing direction of the bow ties at the centre of each side of the panel so it looks like the panel is framed again with the bow ties instead of set into a background?
    Hope you know what I mean. Love your work Jan

2. Cécile says:

Good choice Katy ! 😉

3. Bonnie in Va says:

I hardly ever purchase panels and yet, look how great this is going to be.

4. Great idea to use the panel! I love both with your bow tie blocks, so win-win no matter which way you go.

5. Em says:

Grant looks great with a bow tie. 🙂

6. Kimberly says:

I want that panel with the Southern generals! Nice bow-ties though 😉

7. Paige says:

I have the same panel, and I think it was so trimmed so close, I will not have room for a seam allowance. You are headed in the right direction, looks great!

I like it too! Hugs,

9. Laurie says:

I agree with you. I think the General Grant Panel looks great with the bow tie blocks. They don’t look bad with the other panel either…but I really like how they look with the Civil War era panel.

10. Cathy says:

I still haven’t decided what to do with my bow ties from the swap. I love how you designed your quilt. The center panel is great. Hugs

11. Barb Vedder says:

Love the bow ties with the panel – wonderful!! and I agree about the crooked printing – arg. This is really unique and fun. Would you a post a photo on the Funwithbarb FB page – or can I? love it!!