Design Wall Monday ~ Double 4 Patch

I mentioned in a previous post that I wanted to make  a throw quilt for a friend I met through my job. In bits and pieces of time over the holidays, I got my blocks done. I decided to make a Double 4 Patch so I got up Christmas  morning and  cut up some fat quarters into these.

The strips were for 4 patches. After sewing and pressing each strip set, I placed them back on my strip cutter die in this fashion.

That way they were already placed in position to sew. This saves so much time when I remember to do it!

Half of the blocks will have red backgrounds and green chains and half will be the opposite.

These blocks are fairly large at 12 inches each. I made 24 blocks to set 4 by 6.

This will end up being 48 inches by 72 inches. That seems a bit narrow for a throw quilt so I am thinking about adding borders to just the two sides. Time to dig through my stash to find something that will work!

Linking up with Patchwork Times , Cooking Up Quilts,  Em’s Scrapbag

13 Responses to Design Wall Monday ~ Double 4 Patch

1. Luann says:

Katy,
    Great tip about stacking before cutting. What type of cutter do you have? I’ve been pondering the purchase of one, mostly for curved pieces, but seeing you use yours for the four-patch units would be an added benefit.

2. Lisa says:

Beautiful work Katy. It’s so tidy.

3. I’m behind, I do not know much about cutters, but running the strips through for the second cut saves times and would be so accurate. Love where this is going!

4. Sheri Lesh says:

Katy, I have followed your blog for quite awhile and remember a posting or two where you used your tablet to draw quilt designs on photos of your quilt to audition designs before sewing. I went looking for those posts and could not find where they were mentioned. Could you please point me in the right direction or share with me what app you use for that. I just got a new ipad air for Christmas….too much fun!

5. Janet O. says:

I really like double 4-patch quilts. Like the interchange of red and green on this.

6. Bonnie in Va says:

Looking forward to seeing the whole top on this one. Simple but so nice. Thanks for the tricks — stacking the two units together and the cross cutting of the strips to make the squares… What do you do with the extra fabric that will be hanging off the edge?

It looks like it will be very pretty! I like the colors you are using. Have a good week. Hugs,

8. Cecile says:

This will be a lovely quilt !

9. Em says:

The double four patch is one of my favorite blocks. It is so versatile. Yours look great!

Loved the tip, Katy! I’d forgotten about it too. 🙂

11. Cathy says:

You can never go wrong with a D4P!

12. I think your friend will really like this quilt. I hope you find border fabric; I agree that it might be just a bit narrow. This project is working up fast! Thanks for sharing on MCM – I always love seeing what you are working on. 🙂

13. Kate says:

The blocks look great. You made a lot of progress over the holiday.