Design Wall Monday ~ Morning Star

I thought I would try to get one more UFO off my list for the year. These blocks have been around for years. I finally completed the top a few months ago and I have been trying to come up with a quilting plan ever since.

But it is hard to come up with a plan when you don’t work at it!  I finally pulled up this picture in my Adobe Ideas app and started to play.
 Yeah, I know my last feather episode was a total disaster. But I am going to try again. And I think this might work. The blocks themselves will be challenging since they kind of poof out in the center.

I cut a piece of paper to fit this space so I could make a template for the feather spine.  Once that is marked on the quilt top, I will freehand the feathers themselves. I think I will do a simple piano key border since the fabric there is so busy.

I found some old fabric for the backing that matches well. This stuff has aged enough. It is probably from the early 90s!

And just to force myself to move forward with this, I even pieced the backing and loaded it on the frame. Now I can’t quilt anything else until this is done.

Linking up with Patchwork Times, Cooking Up Quilts, Em’s Scrapbag

8 Responses to Design Wall Monday ~ Morning Star

1. Judy says:

Your planned quilting designs look fabulous! Love feathers and your drawing looks great! I like the idea of getting the backing loaded so you ‘have’ to do this quilt next, sometimes it takes a little extra push to get projects moving 🙂

2. Sandra B says:

Katy, I love this quilt…and the sketched out quilting design will be awesome!! Cannot wait to see it all finished! Thanks for sharing!

3. trueblue92 says:

I think you have a good plan. Enjoy the quilting process!

4. Ramona says:

This is going to be a beautiful finish. It’s good to give ourselves a push to get things finished. Love your quilting design!

5. Cecile says:

Oh come on Katy ! This is a very beautiful quilt and the quilting on it will be gorgeous !
    I’m sure you are going to be satisfied the quilting finished !

6. Helen says:

The blocks look really complicated and hard to piece. Your quilting plan looks like it will really compliment the quilt.

7. Rochelle says:

Great plan Katy. Admire that you don’t let the grass grown under your feet (um, quilt machine). You’ve accomplished so much this year.

8. Your quilting plan looks perfect for this quilt. I bet you’ll have it quilted in no time! 🙂