WIP Wednesday ~ Binding

I am working on the binding of Calamity Jane today and thought I would share a bit about my process. This is not a full out binding tutorial. Just a few tips.  I love vintage enamelware and have collected it for some time. I use it a lot in my sewing room. When I press my bindings, I let it side off my ironing table into a bowl.
 It stays loosely pooled in the bowl until I am ready to attach it. It never gets wrinkled or out of sorts.

Then I take the bowl to my sewing machine and set it on the floor.  I comes out opposite of the way it went in, tangle free. I have to say that I rather perversely enjoyed needling Jane a bit.

When I hand sew the binding, I do not use any pins, clips etc. to hold the binding in place. I’ve realized recently that I hold things a bit differently than a lot of quilters. I place the quilt face down on my lap with the binding facing me. I take a stitch into the backing and catch a small bite of the fold with my needle. I hope you can get the idea from this picture. I use my left hand to hold the binding in place an inch or so ahead of where I am sewing. It is like a small applique stitch. The stich in this picture is a bit bigger than what I normally take but I wanted you to see what I meant.

The next picture shows what it looks like from the other side.

I will probably finish the hand sewing of this binding while the family is here over Christmas. I sure hope Jane behaves.

Linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts

7 Responses to WIP Wednesday ~ Binding

1. BJ says:

Thank you, thank you for sharing pictures of your binding process! I hold my quilt the same way and felt a bit awkward about it after seeing so many tutorials done the “other” way, until I realized that, if it works for me, it works. I do use a few metal spring-tension hair clips (yes, they still sell them!) ahead of my hand if the back is either minkee or flannel, just to help keep the bulk even so my left hand doesn’t have to work so hard prepping for the next stitch. But because I’m only prepping 6 to 10 inches ahead, I only need a few. The handle part of a Wonder clip just gets in the way of my left hand so I save them for other tasks. A tip that I can’t say I’ve seen often is to take a finishing (knotted) stitch every 10 to 12 stitches or so. If a stretch of binding ever comes undone from use or washing, you should only have to repair a short section. The mothers of many children who’ve loved their quilts to death over the years have thanked me for that. Wish I knew where I learned it so I could give appropriate credit! Good luck finishing Jane. Good company and conversation will make the time fly. Looking forward to the finished picture. Merry Christmas!

2. Louise says:

I do my bindings the very same way, for over 40 years. I also knot my thread every few inches for the same reason. I love doing the binding, it is a good opportunity to watch/listen to a movie with my husband. After I finish the binding I make a label and stitch it on. Once this is complete I really need a project to get going on. Merry Christmas Katie!

3. Karen says:

I bind the same way you do—the other seems backward s to me.:)
    Stitch not quite in the ditch, yeah that happens sometimes too. There is nothing new under the sun
    . Stuff happens ……and in the grand scheme m as me a no difference.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

4. gayleburton says:

Katy – I bind my quilts exactly like you, except I love using the Clover clips to hold the folded edge about 10″ ahead of my needle. I loved seeing your ironing board made from a table. I have one nearly identical that I covered with a wool blanket and then added a heavy muslin on top of that. It’s gotten quite discolored and burned through the years so I might have to look for some of that silver ironing board fabric – is it available at a regular fabric store?

5. Now I want an enamelware bowl. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing your tips.

6. Teresa Moore says:

I have always did by binding this way. Hope you have a blessed holiday.

7. JanineMarie says:

Ever since I’ve started reading your blog, I’ve been alert for enamel bowls when I go to the antique malls. I haven’t bought one yet, but now you’ve given me a reason to. I like your use of it for puddling the binding. Mine usually gets in a tangled mess on the floor. I bind the same way you do , but with a few Clover clips. Have fun with Jane, and Merry Christmas!