Throwback Thursday

I really haven’t made a lot of seasonal quilts. I’m just not that into most Christmas fabrics. A few years back, Mr. Wonderful bought me a fat quarter bundle of Christmas fabrics that did not scream Christmas and I used up every little bit in this lap quilt.

This is a Christmas fabric I can love. Aren’t those toiles fabulous?

The pattern is called Colorbrick and there is a tutorial here. Rachel from Stitched in Color kindly provided all the info as a quilt along. It is a fabulous pattern for using fat quarters.

This was one of my very early long arm quilted quilts done back in 2012 on my first machine, a Nolting Hobby Quilter. I tried to come up with a different pattern for each brick.
 It looks horrible on the back! But thankfully, the stitching doesn’t show much on the front. It is a great quilt for dragging around. It has been on the winter ground for picture taking and I am fine with that.
 It’s just that kind of quilt. And it is fun to look back and see that my quilting HAS improved.

Linking up with A Quarter Inch from the Edge for the Christmas Edition of Throwback Thursday.

14 Responses to Throwback Thursday

1. Jayne says:

It is fun looking back at our throwbacks! I cannot believe your Mr. Wonderful buys you fabric! I would be very afraid of what my husband might pick up if he ever bought any for me! I love the understated holiday themed fabric of this. And the quilting is madness! Well done!

2. Another great throwback quilt! Though I’ve never managed to use a toile in anything, I’m drawn to them. And let’s not get me started on that quilting. Fab! Thanks for the link to the tutorial and for linking up with Throwback Thursday @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge!

3. sandi says:

I love your quilt! The fabrics are wonderful, your husband does good! LOL. Hugs,

4. I actually rarely make any holiday themed quilted projects. I will make quilts to gift for the holidays… just not out of the thematic prints for the season. These are really lovely, though, and the pattern is nice in that it allows the prints to really be enjoyed.

5. Wow. I’m amazed that you quilted a different pattern in each section. I’ve never used toile. Something to think about.

6. Heidi says:

Sweet Toile print and I enjoyed looking at this ‘sampler’ of fmq patterns!

7. Yes, the fabrics are lovely! The bricks and mortar setting is perfect!

8. Geti says:

Yay! I can’t believe you have a husband brave enough to buy you fabric! I love the ‘sampler’ you made with your new machine. Good idea actually. The toile is beautiful!

9. Cécile says:

What a wonderful quilt !! And I really love the print with this Toile ! So original !!

10. Tish says:

I love the fabric your husband picked out for you. It makes me think of vintage Christmas.

11. JanineMarie says:

I like this quilt a lot–it’s quiet enough that I think you could keep it out all winter. I bet doing all those different FMQ patterns on the blocks was great practice!

12. Kathleen says:

Your husband obviously knows what you like! It’s very pretty.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours.

13. That’s a great lap quilt design for Christmas – it just says “cozy” to me. I really like it.

14. elle says: